From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Taiwan's Presbyterians Issue SARS Appeal

From Taiwan Church News <pctpress@ms1.hinet.net>
Date Mon, 12 May 2003 13:32:54 +0800

Taiwan Church News 2671, May 11, 2003
Reported by Li Yi-shin. Translated and rewritten by David
Alexander

   After studying the means by which Severe Acute Respiratory
Syndrome (SARS) spreads, the General Assembly of the Presbyterian
Church in Taiwan (PCT) issued an urgent nationwide appeal for
prayers early last week.
   Churches all over this island were urged to lift the
situation, health workers and SARS patients in prayer to God.  In
addition, Christians were asked to add health-conscious habits to
their prayers, so that Taiwan may soon be set free from the
disease.
   PCT General Secretary William J. K. Lo used the theme of "Love
Life, Share Suffering" to promote his appeal to church members.
"By love we should share the burdens of the suffering people, by
faith we should show concern for the society and become partners
with our communities and government agencies in this struggle."
   Prevention of SARS is more than just frequent washing of
hands, good nutrition and regular exercise. Churches are advised
to keep the windows open during worship to promote ventilation,
and to disseminate health information in their announcements and
bulletins.
   Rev. Lo said, "The disease control experts have found that
keeping a distance of one meter from an infected person is
helpful in preventing transmission of the virus.  Taiwan's
domestic cases are quarantined while they receive treatment, so
church members need not be overly fearful."
   In the face of a rising panic level in Taiwan, Rev. Lo said,
"Christians should be self-protective as we meet the challenge of
SARS with a clear demonstration of the love of Christ. Christian
hospitals and clinics cannot abandon their healing mission.  Care
and prayer for the people of Taiwan put the church in the front
lines of the struggle for healing. This must be our model.  We
pray that the pardon, mercy and healing of God be abundantly
poured out on Taiwan."

For more information: wmlo@mail.pct.org.tw

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local
languages.
Visit our web site: www.pctpress.com.tw