From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Conference addresses sexuality issues facing Lutherans

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Thu, 15 May 2003 10:58:33 -0400

May 14, 2003

2003-107

Episcopalians: Conference addresses sexuality issues facing
Lutherans

by Joel Hoekstra

(ELCA) People who are gay or lesbian must be welcomed by the
church without reservation, say two former bishops of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). The denomination
should make every effort to find a way to do so without causing
division among its members, they added.

The Rev. Herbert W. Chilstrom, a retired ELCA pastor who was the
church's first presiding bishop, and the Rev. Lowell O. Erdahl,
former bishop of the ELCA Saint Paul Area Synod, spoke at a
conference April 4-6 at St. Olaf College, Northfield, Minnesota.

The conference, "Sexuality, Spirituality and the Church," drew
more than 240 registered participants, and focused largely on
issues of ordaining people who are gay or lesbian and blessings
of same-gender relationships.

"I do not want to do anything to destroy the unity of our ELCA,"
Chilstrom told the participants. "So that raises the question
for some: 'Why would you spend time trying to open minds in an
area where you know there is going to be division and disunity
and even potential for schism?' The only answer I can give to
that question is: justice. Slowly but surely I came to the
conclusion that there were significant numbers of people in the
ELCA who were being pushed aside, ignored and in some cases
deliberately discriminated against."

Shifting views

Scripture and science must be handled carefully in church
discussions regarding homosexuality, Erdahl said. Pointing to
passages in both the New and Old Testaments, he said, "I don't
think those texts say anything about homosexuality as we
understand it today." In particular, he added, the Bible seems
not to address the issue of people who are gay or lesbian in
committed relationships.

Erdahl also discounted the value of "balanced" viewpoints in
scientific discussions on homosexuality. "If there were a
medical conference held on the treatment of diabetes, I don't
think the planners would require that equal time be given to
discussion of practices that were common before the discovery of
insulin," he said.

"The medical profession has learned a great deal about diabetes
in the last hundred years." Likewise, he said, scientific views
on homosexuality have shifted considerably in the last century.

The conference--which included lectures, panel discussions, two
worship services and a screening of a documentary film on a
recent ordination in St. Paul--was funded with a grant from the
Philip N. Knutson Endowment. The conference drew Lutheran clergy
and laity, including students from several ELCA colleges.

Clinical and abstract?

"There are no positive role models in the church for young gay
people today," said Jonathan Welch, a 20-year-old student at
Concordia College, Moorhead, Minnesota. He said he was surprised
at the number of parents attending the conference who eagerly
showed him pictures of their gay sons and lesbian daughters. "It
gives me hope" for the church, Welch said.

But Valerie Veo, a St. Olaf sophomore from Litchfield,
Minnesota, who wore a "Straight But Not Narrow" button, said she
was concerned that the ELCA's approach to studying sexuality was
"clinical and too abstract." She said, "We lose sight of what it
really means and that it has ramifications for real people and
real lives."

The Rev. Barbara K. Lundblad, associate professor at Union
Theological Seminary, New York, and conference speaker, said the
church has always had difficulty talking about sexuality of any
stripe. "We've had to check our bodies at the door for
centuries," she said, citing the influence of gnostic dualism on
early Christian teachings. "So it's hard to know how to talk
about sex in the context of spirituality."

Several conference speakers argued that committed relationships
among people who are gay or lesbian should be encouraged and
blessed by the church. Lundblad took issue with the idea that
recognizing gay relationships could lead to the degradation of
marriage. "A lot of things ruin marriages, but homosexuality is
hardly ever on the list," she said.

"Alcohol, economics, abuse, family difficulties, religious
quarrels--we could probably name 50 things that are really
damaging to marriage, but homosexuality is rarely the problem."

Ordination issue

The ordination of people who are gay or lesbian in committed
relationships was another theme that surfaced repeatedly during
the conference. Chilstrom noted that the ELCA has no ban on
homosexuals in committed relationships serving as organists,
Sunday school teachers and even lay ministers in the church, yet
it denies them pastoral appointments.

Anita Hill, who lives in a committed relationship and serves at
St. Paul Reformation Church in St. Paul, spoke about her long
and persistent effort to become ordained. Called to serve as a
pastor and installed in 2001, she is not in compliance with the
ELCA's expectations for clergy, and her ordination is not
recognized by the ELCA.

Hill, whose story is the subject of the video documentary "THIS
obedience," indicated she sometimes grew skeptical about the
ELCA's ability to reconcile matters of ordination of people who
are gay or lesbian, and blessings. "But God's love is too
powerful for doubts to win the day," she added.

The Rev. James M. Childs Jr., professor at Trinity Lutheran
Seminary in Columbus, Ohio, and director for the ELCA Studies on
Sexuality, also addressed the conference. He and a task force
are charged with executing two actions mandated by the 2001
Churchwide Assembly. The first is to lead a churchwide dialogue
on the blessing of same-gender relationships and the ordination
of people who are gay and lesbian and are in committed
relationships.

The second is to lead the development of a social statement on
sexuality. Upcoming ELCA churchwide assemblies are scheduled to
take up these matters in 2005 and 2007.

Childs said the task force has received letters and e-mails from
roughly 1,000 people since the studies began. "The important
thing is for people to share their opinions on these issues,"
Childs said, "rather than forcing any congregation to take a
vote."

------

--Joel Hoekstra is a freelance writer who lives in Minneapolis.