From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Trinity Institute explores Benedictine spirituality

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Thu, 15 May 2003 12:13:43 -0400

May 15, 2003

2003-108

Episcopalians: Trinity Institute explores Benedictine
spirituality

by Nathan Brockman

(Trinity News/ENS) The Benedictine way of life is alive, well
and precisely relevant to shaping holy lives. That was the
subtext underlying this year's annual conference of Trinity
Institute, April 28-29.

Addressing the conference theme, "Shaping Holy Lives," were the
Most Rev. Rowan Williams, the new archbishop of Canterbury; Joan
Chittister, outspoken author and former Benedictine prioress;
Laurence Freeman of the Monastery of Christ the King,
Cockfosters, London; and Kathleen Norris, poet and former
Benedictine oblate.

It was the first time that Williams had returned to Trinity
since the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. He preached
at the opening Eucharist on the Benedictine value of
"listening," and closed the conference with a "prosaic" look
inside "God's Workshop."

Chittister tackled the essential values of St. Benedict, among
them creative work, holy leisure, humility, and peace, drawing
from those values a kind of "holy warfare" aimed at righting the
world's wrongs. Freeman asked why the ancient Rule of St.
Benedict was attracting adherents to this day, and Kathleen
Norris examined the quality of "holy realism" through poetry.

Transparency rooted in honesty

For Williams it was a low-key visit to New York. He had
originally accepted the invitation when he was still archbishop
of Wales and the possibility of a translation to Lambeth Palace
was uninformed speculation. His references to September 11 and
the war on Iraq, which he had opposed, were glancing.

In his main address to the conference, entitled "God's
Workshop," he discussed the themes of transparency, peacemaking
and accountability in terms of Benedictine spirituality. "The
monk must be transparent; the monk must be a peacemaker; the
monk must be accountable," he said.

Transparency, he explained, is rooted in honesty with others and
within ourselves. "To become in this way open to your own
scrutiny, through the listening ministry of the trusted brother
or sister, is to take the first step towards an awareness of the
brother or sister that is not illusory or comforting," he said.
"If we are to become transparent, we must first confront the
uncomfortable fact that we are not naturally and instantly at
peace with all."

For this reason, he noted, with transparency comes a need for
peacemaking: "The precepts are clear enough: there should be no
retaliation, no malicious gossip, no hatred or envy or party
spirit Stability requires this daily discipline of mending."

Daily mending can prove a difficult task in the 21st century,
Williams acknowledged. "We have been told--rightly--that it is
bad to deny and repress emotion; equally rightly, that it is
poisonous for us to be passive under injustice," he said. "The
denial of emotion is a terrible thing; what takes time is
learning that the positive path is the education of emotion, not
its uncritical indulgence, which actually locks us far more
firmly in our mutual isolation.

"Likewise, the denial of rights is a terrible thingwhat takes
time to learn is that the opposite of oppression is not a
wilderness of litigation and reparation, but the nurture of
concrete, shared respect."

Accountability, he said, concerns our state of being answerable
"both to God and to the spiritual realities of the people [we]
deal with."

"Everyone in the community that the Rule envisages is
responsible both to and for everyone else in different modes,
depending on the different specific responsibilities they hold,
but nonetheless sharing a single basic calling in this respect
The workshop is manifestly a collaborative venture with the aim
of mending vices and preserving love'  The workshop is at the
end of the day a solid and tough metaphor for that spirituality
which is a lifetime's labor, yet also an expansion of the
heart." Williams said.

Essential values

Should a 5th century monk influence today's world? This was
Chittister's question, in an address on the essential values of
St. Benedict, among them creative work, holy leisure, humility,
and peace.

She arrived at her answer--an emphatic "yes"--through
excoriating "pseudo-contemplatives," "pious moles," and the
United States government for exorbitant defense spending. She
was particularly searching during her evaluation of Benedict's
notion of holy leisure.

"In the mind of Benedict, life is not only lived by doing," said
Chittister. "Leisure is an essential part of spirituality as
well as work. The real measure of holy leisure, Sabbath leisure,
contemplative leisure, has more to do with the quality of life
and the depth of our vision than it does with play and
vacation."

Chittister then outlined the depth our vision should reach. "If
anything has brought the modern world to the brink of
destruction, it must surely be the loss of Sabbath," she said.
"The purpose of holy leisure is to bring this balance of being,
not a balance of time, back in to lives gone askew and to give
people time to live a thoughtful, a contemplative, as well as a
productive, life. It's the reflectiveness of holy leisure that
brings us to ask what it is to follow the Gospel.

"When people sleep in a Metro station, it's holy leisure that
asks, Why?' When a high-ranking [U.S. government] official was
asked by the media last week why there were no estimates of the
Iraqi dead reported, and the official's answer was, that is a
number in which I have no interest whatsoever,' it is holy
leisure that breaks the secular silence and asks the Sabbath
question, Why don't you?'

"Holy leisure asks how our today became more important than
God's tomorrow. In other words, holy leisure is the foundation
of contemplation, and contemplation is the ability to see the
world as God sees the world."

A transformative tool

Freeman suggested that the sense of measure and order that
Benedict espoused was actually a transformative tool. If someone
could be convinced to look at life with measure and order, and
to do so over time, a transformation of perception could be
achieved.

Trying to determine why the Rule of St. Benedict remains so
influential, he examined its basic principles, such as
"moderation, measure, good order, respect for those who are
different from ourselves, compassion for the old, the young and
the sick, generosity for the stranger who turns up after the
guest-master has gone to bed, a balanced lifestyle, good time
management, vertical and horizontal forms of authority,
listening to everyone, social equality, and justice."

He argued that the Rule was pertinent today, even when what it
means to be holy has changed. "Time was when everyone agreed
that the right aspiration of life was holiness, but what does
holiness mean today, when holiness is often a neglected value in
Christian circles? It lives on, maybe in diminished forms.

"In the aspirations of some New Age spiritualities, we speak of
wholeness," Freeman said. "None of us would mind being called
whole persons. Wholeness is that which has been fixed; what has
been repaired, healed, made whole again."

The "eternal principles" of the Rule were easily translated into
other ways of life, Freeman observed. He spoke of two oblates,
from different countries and stages in life, whom he had
received into the Benedictine order.

"One of them was a 24-year-old Italian engineering student. The
other was an 84-year-old French-Canadian retired businessman.
When I asked them on different occasions what made them want to
take this step, they gave surprisingly similar answers:
simplicity of life, spiritual friendship, the need for a
framework of values in their life, and the sense of being part
of a community that is itself an expression of a living
tradition."

Holy realism and poetry

Norris's address examined the influences of one of America's
best-known poets. Her goal was to "overturn our false notions of
holiness," to bring it back down to earth, and she did so in
large part by reading reams of poems.

She introduced the concept of a Benedictine-influenced "holy
realism." The concept would prove a refreshing about-face from
piety, and an illuminating case for the holy power of poetry.

"The popular wisdom is that the words holy' and realism' don't
go together. Aren't holy people, like poets, dreamy and
sentimental...not of this world? They are always dreaming of
other things."

She read poems by herself, her husband and others, including
Mark Van Doren, Marilyn Nelson, Kate Daniels, and Elizabeth
Bishop. Each described aspects of "holy realism."

The first quality of holy realism, according to Norris, is that
"we recognize it when we see it and we can't help but remark on
it its qualities are universal."

However, "if we recognize holiness in ourselves, we are dead
wrong" and heading down the road to narcissism. Further, "Holy
realism is grounded in the real world and not, especially not,
in our heads. Holy realism rejects false images and it reminds
us of who we really are. Holiness is humbling, and that's a
point St. Benedict makes quite forcefully, devoting an entire
chapter of the rule to the subject of humility."

Norris also said what holy realism is not: "It is the opposite
of Narcissism; it welcomes the presence of othersas gifts from
God." It seeks deep connections between people.

Finally, "Holy realism is the ultimate realism," said Norris. It
is a conviction that "life does have meaning; it is worth caring
about."

------

Texts and additional reports are at:
www.trinitywallstreet.org/news

The full proceedings can be viewed or heard at
http://www.trinitywallstreet.org/video

(Advisory to Episcopal Communicators: Speaker photos from
Trinity Institute available at www.trinitywallstreet.org/PR .
Register with your details and Trinity will provide you with a
username and password.)

--Nathan Brockman is managing editor of Trinity's web site.
Additional reporting for this article was provided by Maria
Luisa Torres and John Allen.