From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: News Briefs

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Fri, 16 May 2003 13:11:10 -0400

May 16, 2003

2003-109

Episcopalians: News Briefs

Iraqi Christians worry about freedom of religion, rise of
fundamentalism

(ENS) While most Iraqi Christians joined the celebrations
following the overthrow of Saddam Hussein, they are now
expressing concern and anxiety that freedom of religion will be
curbed in favor of Islamic fundamentalism.

Fearing a Shiite-dominated government, Christian leaders are
calling for a new constitution that will guarantee minority
faiths the right to "profess our faith according to our ancient
traditions and our religious law, the right to educate our
children according to Christian principles, the right to freely
assemble, to build our places of worship, and our cultural and
social centers according to our needs," the Chaldean Church said
in a statement.

"I'm afraid for my people," said Bishop Ishlemon Warduni, leader
of the Chaldean community that represents about 80 percent of
Iraq's 800,000 Christians. (The remaining 20 percent is
comprised of Syrians, Assyrians and Armenians.) "During the war
we were not afraid like we are now. All Christians are in
danger," he said in an article in Religion News Service.

"We have a 2,000-year history in Iraq--and that is now
threatened. The fanatics would see us gone," he said. The danger
seems most pronounced in Shiite strongholds in southern Iraq
where Muslim clerics are calling for an Islamic republic. Under
Saddam Hussein Christians were allowed freedom of worship but
not to seek converts or give their children Christian names.
There are increasing reports of Christian girls and women being
harassed on the streets for not wearing veils and liquor stores,
usually run by Christians, have received threatening notes.

Canadian bishops endorse choice of episcopal visitor for New
Westminster

(ENS) The bishops of the Anglican Church of Canada have
overwhelmingly endorsed the appointed of Bishop William Hockin
to serve as episcopal visitors for parishes that oppose the
decision by the Diocese of New Westminster to bless same-gender
relationships. Hockin has been the bishop of Fredericton, New
Brunswick, but has announced his retirement in October.

"We welcome this as a model of respect for those who hold views
at variance with the decision of the Synod of New Westminster
while preserving the unity and integrity of the diocese," said
the motion passed by the House of Bishops at the April 2-May 2
meeting. "We urge all parishes calling for alternative episcopal
oversight to explore the possibility of finding their own best
interests, and those of the wider church, addressed in Bishop
Hockin's appointment, and encourage them to explore this
possibility with him."

In another motion the bishops urged Bishop Terry Buckle of Yukon
to "withdraw his offer of episcopal oversight for the seven
parishes" seeking it. Bishop Michael Ingham of New Westminster
threatened ecclesiastical charges against Buckle if he proceeded
with his intention. Ingham said that, under canon law, no
outside bishop can assume jurisdiction of parishes in another
diocese.

A motion asking Ingham not to implement the decision opening the
way to blessing same-gender unions before the General Synod of
the church meets next year was tabled.

The parishes have formed the Anglican Communion in New
Westminster (ACiNW). While expressing gratitude for the effort
of the bishops to resolve the issue, "especially in view of the
divisive nature of the issue and the strong conviction on both
sides," it said the provision for alternative oversight too weak
and temporary to be effective--and one that fails to address a
deeper crisis in the diocese.

Workshop on Christian Unity celebrates spirit of ecumenism

(ENS) The 2003 National Workshop on Christian Unity drew over
400 participants to its May 10-13 meeting in Savannah, Georgia,
where they celebrated the spirit of ecumenism--and some progress
on the road to unity. The meeting also sought to "widen the
table" by including denominations that haven't participated in
the movement over the years.

Plenary sessions, for example, focused on the classical
Pentecostal traditions and the ways in which their growth around
the world has impacted and influenced the ecumenical movement.
Pentecostals in the U.S. have moved through a period when they
did not participate in ecumenical discussions into a new period
where their influence has increased on the ecumenical scene. The
main question for Pentecostals now, according to some
participants, is whether the ecumenical movement is really
serious about building a new ecumenical table with them as
partners in the building process or merely "adding leaves to the
existing table."

In the opening plenary address, Dr. Robert Franklin of Emory
University in Atlanta spoke of the power of the Holy Spirit to
break apart neatly constructed vessels of parochialism and of
the need for the church to have a broom ready to sweep up those
shattered fragments, study them, and seek to shape them into new
and unexpected arrangements of great beauty and utility.
"Tradition is the living faith of the dead while traditionalism
is the dead faith of the living," he said. He challenged
participants to become, in the words of Martin Luther King Jr.,
a creative core of non-conformists seeking dialogue and
cooperation among churches and the great religions of the world.

Dr. Anthea Butler emphasized local partnerships and dialogue
between Pentecostals and mainline churches in addition to the
national and international ones. The Rev. Carmelo Alvarez traced
the history of Pentecostal and charismatic renewal n the
churches of Latin America, pointing out that Roman Catholic and
historic Protestant churches often have a charismatic flavor and
dimension that makes cooperation easier and more fruitful.

Workshops and seminars provided an overview of the various
ecumenical dialogues as well as a focus on interfaith listening,
racism, grassroots ecumenism, and the office of deacon as an
ecumenical opportunity. One of the special Eucharists was
celebrated by Lutherans and Episcopalians with Bishop Henry
Louttit of Georgia presiding and Bishop Ronald Warren of the
Southeastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
preaching on the mission challenges facing the two churches
today as "full communion" partners.

Episcopal Church's resolution on diversity defeated at
stockholders meeting

(ENS/Omaha World Herald) A resolution presented by the Episcopal
Church and the Church Pension Fund asking Werner Enterprises to
consider diversity on its board was defeated at a stockholders
meeting May 13.

A long-haul freight carrier, Werner's board includes the
founder, Clarence Werner, his three sons and five other white
men. "In this day and age an all-white male board is just an
anachronism," said Harry van Buren, who introduced the
resolution on diversity. "In the economy that we have today,
companies need to take advantage of different perspectives and
different kinds of talents." Van Buren is a consultant for the
church on social responsibility in investments and corporate
ethics.

The company argued that it provides equal employment
opportunities and that the resolution would limit the board's
ability to select the most qualified candidates. The vote was 71
percent against and 27 percent in favor, with some abstentions.
"We hope we've raised the company's consciousness of this
issue," said van Buren.

The church has monitored the social responsibility of its
investment portfolio since 1972, beginning with the issue of
investment in South Africa during its apartheid era. Board
diversity resolutions have been proposed for about 20 companies,
van Buren pointed out. Only twice have the resolutions been
brought to a vote. Two others were withdrawn after the companies
agreed to include language on board diversity in their proxy
statements.

Arab Christians urge Israeli compatriots to mend divisions

(ENI) Arab church leaders and academics in the Holy Land have
appealed to Israelis to stop highlighting the divisions between
Muslims and Christians and instead to seek a common vision with
all Palestinians.

The emotionally charged plea was issued in Jerusalem at a
conference on contemporary Christianity in the Holy Land, held
under the auspices of Hebrew University's Harry S. Truman
Research Institute for the Advancement of Peace.

Dr. Bernard Sabella, of Roman Catholic Bethlehem University,
told the participants Israeli policy on relations between
Palestinian Muslims and Christians was politically motivated.
"Instead of working to see the common vision with Palestinians,
both Muslims and Christians, they seize on the contradictions
and the dividing factors, hopefully to prove to the world that
Israel is the protecting factor for minorities," he said. "I
think that is an awful approach."

Sabella, a Roman Catholic and an expert on the Christian
population in the Holy Land, said Israelis needed to change
their tack. "For me as a Palestinian Christian, my prospects are
to see my people making peace with your people," he said to
Israeli Jews in the audience. "And if we don't work for that,
there is no hope. Not for Palestinian Christians, Muslims or
Israeli Jews."

The Anglican archbishop in Jerusalem, Riah Abu El-Assal, who
also addressed the conference, argued that Arab Christians in
Israel like him were in a unique position. The bishop, who hails
from Nazareth in northern Israel, described himself as an "Arab,
Palestinian and Christian Israeli." That means that he "can
speak to the Palestinian leadership better than any [other]
Israeli," he said. "We are a branch of the Arab national tree.
The homeland of the Arab nation is our homeland. The [Arab]
culture is our culture."

At the same time, Arab Christians were also Israelis, and as
such had rights within Israel, he noted. While Israelis often
refer to their country as a Jewish state, Riah described it
differently. "Israel is not only the state of the Jewish people,
it is the state of all its citizens, among them the 1.3 million
[mainly Muslim Arabs] who are not Jews," he said.

"The Christians have remained one of the less-researched topics
in the Israeli academy and are hardly known to the Israeli
public," said Dr. Daphne Tsimhoni, one of the coordinators of
the conference. "The conference makes a contribution to fill
that gap."

People

(ENS) Sonia Omulepu, who had served as special projects officer
for the U.S. office of the World Council of Churches, has been
appointed coordinator for the Interfaith Education Initiative, a
joint venture of Episcopal Relief and Development and the Office
of Ecumenical and Interfaith Relations.

She began her career at the Episcopal Church Center as part of
the General Convention Special Program. For almost 20 years she
was assistant to the executive director of the African American
Council of the Reformed Church in America where she edited the
monthly newsletter, planned annual conferences and designed the
annual colloquium on Black Religion. At the WCC office she
planned preparatory meetings for key events and coordinated the
logistics of meetings in the U.S.

She is a member of the congregation of St. Savior at the
Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York where she serves as
a member of the vestry.

Ethan Flad has been named editor of The Witness magazine,
responsible for the bi-monthly print publication and regular
on-line commentary. "We are pleased to have Ethan energize the
prophetic voice of The Witness," said Bishop Jane Holmes Dixon,
president of Episcopal Church Publishing. "Never has this work
been more necessary than at this crucial time. Ethan's tireless
work in grassroots justice organizing and advocacy make him the
right person for this challenge."

During his international justice work at the Church Center in
New York and Grace Cathedral in San Francisco, Flad has traveled
extensively in southern Africa, the Middle East, Asia, Central
and South America. Since 2001 he has been web editor and
producer for A Globe of Witnesses, an on-line initiative.

The Witness has been a progressive and prophetic voice in the
church since 1917, honored with many awards for its special
blend of analysis, opinion and reflection using essays, poetry,
and photography.

------