From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Disciples News Brief

From "Wilma Shufitt" <wshuffit@cm.disciples.org>
Date Fri, 16 May 2003 12:11:25 -0500

Date: May 6, 2003
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Melinda Mains
Phone: 317-713-2496
E-mail: mmains@cm.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

Jackson Leading Disciples Through Transition
Leading the church through the transition presented by the resignation
of the Rev. Richard L. Hamm as General Minister and President,
Moderator
Rev. Alvin O. Jackson invited several Disciples leaders to a process
of
discernment. At the May 12 meeting the Rev. Hamm presented a paper
"Mobilizing for Mission" (available online at
www.disciples.org/transition) in which he shares observations and
recommendations for undergirding the churches mission through our
shared
Vision. Hamm noted, "I remain unswerving in my conviction that the
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) is a church for just such a
time
as this. I remain convinced that "strengthening congregations for
mission" is a primary role of the regional and general manifestations.
believe this church ought to grow for the sake of God's mission and
ministry to the world, and I believe we will because we are being
driven
more and more by the Vision."

Jackson confirmed with those in attendance a commitment to the Vision.

The group also discussed the structural and leadership issues facing
the Disciples as well as goals for the interim time frame. Jackson
will
consider all the thoughts, ideas, and information as he prepares
recommendations for the July Administrative Committee.

Following the Executive Search Model, adopted by the General Board in
2000, Jackson noted that the search committee had received over 20
names
for consideration as General Minister and President. The search
committee will continue the review process in hopes of presenting a
candidate at the July board meeting, but recognize that a candidate
may
not be presented until the October General Assembly.

Week of Compassion Update
For the latest information about the destruction of recent tornadoes
and what Disciples are doing to help, visit the Week of Compassion
website at: http://www.weekofcompassion.org/.

Deadline for Gethsemane is May 23
Gethsemane Mission Year is a year-long young adult discipleship
opportunity. The focus is on knowing God and responding to God through
service to others, community life, a willingness to live simply, and a
dedication to spiritual growth. Application and reference forms are
available at http://www.nationalcitycc.org/gethsemane.