From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Stated clerk asks Presbyterians to pray for

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 19 May 2003 09:24:44 -0400

Note #7686 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Stated clerk asks Presbyterians to pray for upcoming GA
03243
May 16, 2003

Stated clerk asks Presbyterians to pray for upcoming GA

Assembly theme, 'A House of Prayer for All Peoples,' is 'a wonderful vision,'
Kirkpatrick says

by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE - With the 215th General Assembly fast-approaching, General
Assembly stated clerk the Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick, has issued a plea to all
Presbyterians to pray for the gathering in Denver.

With several divisive issues on the Assembly's agenda - ordination standards,
abortion, defiance of the Presbyterian Church (USA) constitution -
Kirkpatrick said he "hopes and prays" the Assembly will be remembered "as one
in which Presbyterians turned not in upon themselves, but outward to the
world and the people whom God loves."

The full text of Kirkpatrick's statement, issued by the Office of the General
Assembly:

"For my house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples"  (Isaiah
56:7).

The theme of our 215th General Assembly, set to convene in Denver at the end
of May, is "A House of Prayer for all Peoples." This wonderful vision of the
prophet Isaiah was his challenge to the children of Israel when they returned
to Israel following the exile and began to re-establish their faith
community. He reminded them that there are no limits to those whom God wishes
to include in God's people and in God's plan of salvation.

This is also an important challenge to the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) as we
move toward this year's assembly. God's love knows no limits. We are called
to be the kind of people who eagerly welcome and share that love with all
people. While this assembly will face many important issues related to our
life together as Presbyterians, I hope and pray that this assembly will be
remembered as one in which Presbyterians turned not in upon themselves, but
outward to the world and the people whom God loves.

This assembly presents important opportunities to make just such a witness
through:

* responding to a variety of calls to be peacemakers in a world of violence
and conflict;

* enthusiastically adopting new mission strategies to share the gospel among
Hispanics and those involved in higher education;

* reaffirming our commitment to the World Council of Churches as a major
instrument to promote the unity of the church and of humankind;

* strengthening our witness and solidarity with the people and churches of
Africa;

* reaching out to families - traditional and otherwise - to make Jesus Christ
the center of family life.

Maybe even more important than the issues will be the opportunity to come
together as Presbyterians from different regions, genders, ethic backgrounds,
and theological perspectives to live out our unity in Christ and our
commitment to be God's people in the world. Our Book of Order makes an
important claim that "the Church of Jesus Christ is a provisional
demonstration of what God intends for all humanity" (G-3.0200).  May such a
bold claim become a living reality as we gather together in Denver.

Please join me in praying for our General Assembly, that its witness and life
together may indeed proclaim to the world that the Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.) is " called to be a house of prayer for all peoples."

*** For instructions on using this system (including how to UNJOIN this
meeting), send e-mail to mailrequests@ecunet.org