From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Pacific islanders say U.S. should apologize for testing

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Tue, 20 May 2003 14:09:57 -0500

May 20, 2003  News media contact: Tim Tanton7(615)742-54707Nashville, Tenn.
10-33-71BI{292}

NOTE: For related coverage, see UMNS story #401, "Survivors of atomic bomb
tests seek aid from Congress," Sept. 10.

A UMNS Report
By Larry Hygh Jr.*

A delegation of United Methodist leaders joined with Marshall Islands
residents in calling for the U.S. government to apologize for the nuclear
testing that it performed on the islands 49 years ago - testing that is
believed to have caused widespread health problems for the people there.

The delegation and residents of the Pacific islands also emphasized the need
for the government to provide better health care for the affected residents.

"I have some health problems that I believe are related to the (nuclear
radiation) exposure," said Ruthann Mathew, a 53-year-old survivor from the
island of Utrik. She described what she remembered when the "big bad
explosion" happened. "When we looked up, the sky was all red."

The United Methodists traveled May 2-10 to the Western Pacific to work with
local governments on peace and justice issues. They visited Majuro in the
Marshall Islands, Saipan in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
and Guam.

Delegation members from the California-Pacific Annual (regional) Conference
included the Rev. Barbara Grace Ripple, Hawaii District superintendent,
representing Bishop Mary Ann Swenson; JoAnn Yoon Fukumoto, Peace With Justice
educator for the conference; and Ken Ellis, Santa Barbara District lay
leader. The group also included Jim Winkler, top staff executive of the
denomination's Board of Church and Society; and the Rev. B. David Williams, a
consultant and retired missionary from the churchwide Board of Global
Ministries.

While in the Marshall Islands, the delegation experienced a two-day
"immersion" organized by survivors of the 1954 nuclear tests. The survivors
have formed a group called ERUB, which is named for the islands Enewetak,
Rongelap, Utrik and Bikini. The new group will explore the current situation
of people affected by the nuclear testing on their islands.

The United Methodist Church's top legislative assembly, the General
Conference, adopted a resolution in 2000 on "Atomic Testing in the Marshall
Islands - A Legacy." The statement, No. 267 in the denomination's 2000 Book
of Resolutions, was sponsored by the Hawaii District and the Asian-American
caucus.

The resolution calls for "more just compensation and expansion of medical
care" than what has been provided. It notes that the U.S. government provided
full compensation to the U.S. citizens who lived downwind of the Nevada Test
Site, but Marshall Islanders have received less, even though their islands
were subjected to a greater tonnage of bombs detonated.

Residents had received some health care through the Compact of Free
Association, which expired in 2001. In 1999, the Republic of the Marshall
Islands submitted a petition to the U.S. government, saying the cost of
health care was underestimated when the compact was negotiated. The petition
was resubmitted in March 2000 but has not been acted upon, according to a
group of islanders who visited Washington last fall.

Mathew and seven other survivors gave testimonies and recalled the testing
that occurred 49 years ago. They all spoke of the need for the United States
government to apologize and to provide adequate health care.

"We request that you advocate for further assistance with health care that
the survivors would benefit from," Mathew said. She described how the testing
contaminated the water on their island. She, her mother, two sisters and
brother experienced thyroid problems and other related illnesses believed to
have been related to the testing, she said.

ERUB is planning an event of remembrance to mark next year's 50th anniversary
of the nuclear testing.

"For me, going to the Marshall Islands was a very moving experience," Winkler
said. "These are people who are survivors of nuclear tests who have suffered
at the hands of our government," he said. "They viewed us not as
representatives of a nation that has destroyed their lives, but as sisters
and brothers in Christ; they gave us gifts and poured out their hearts to us.

"I feel shame for what our country did to the people of the Marshall
Islands," Winkler said. "Now, I think its time for us to make it right and
provide first class health care."

In Saipan, the delegation met with Gov. Juan N. Babauta regarding delegate
status for the Washington, D.C., representative from the Commonwealth of the
Northern Mariana Islands. The representative currently does not have voice or
vote in Congress. Last year, the California-Pacific Conference adopted a
resolution calling for "Due Representation of the Commonwealth of the
Northern Mariana Islands to the United State Congress."

While in Saipan, the delegation also met with Catholic Bishop Tomas A.
Camacho.

Ripple, Winkler and Fukumoto were panelists for a community-wide discussion
on "How Faith Informs My Social Action." The panel included community
leaders.

"Faith gives me a vision for social action," Fukumoto said. "Social action
ministry is the heartbeat of the Christian faith."

Ripple recalled how her parents would drop her off at Sunday school when she
was little but would not stay. "When things got rough at home, I could go to
the church and feel safe," Ripple said. When she was 8 years old, she put an
altar in her closet.

"As peoples of faith, we reach out with our good works to support one another
in a network of loving care and generous giving," she said. "And through our
good works (our actions), the testimony of our faith is made evident."

The delegation also visited with members of Immanuel United Methodist Church
in Saipan and saw several of its outreach ministries.

Ripple and Ellis then traveled to Guam to meet with members of the Guam
United Methodist Church to assess recovery efforts from typhoons Chata'an and
Pongsona. In addition, they visited church outreach ministries that included
several Habitat for Humanity houses that the church has helped build.

# # #

*Hygh, director of communications for the California-Pacific Annual
Conference, accompanied the delegation on its trip.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org