From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Taiwan's Churches Mark "Asia Sunday"

From Taiwan Church News <pctpress@ms1.hinet.net>
Date Fri, 23 May 2003 15:00:57 +0800

Taiwan Church News 2673, May 25, 2003
Reported by Li Yi-shin. Translated and rewritten by David
Alexander

   This year the first Sunday in June is "Asia Concern Sunday"
It is marked throughout the churches and communions which
participate in the Christian Conference of Asia.  The theme in
2003 is "For We Are Neighbors."  Christians across Asia are
called to renewal, to cross borders and to establish bridges for
mutual concern.
   William J. K. Lo, General Secretary of The Presbyterian Church
in Taiwan (PCT), said, "The tendency of the world to become a
global village has shortened the distances between nations. Each
of us is a resident of the world village. Taiwan must act as a
good neighbor.	In all international affairs, we must care for
the weak and not spare our strength."
   He added, "Because the Church is the mutual body of believers,
we must cooperate to give aid and demonstrate good
neighborliness."  He cited church responses to the September 21,
1999 earthquake in Central Taiwan as an example of that
neighborly spirit.  The physical, psychological and religious
walls that surrounded churches in the quake zone were all torn
down at that time.  He believes that in times of crisis the
ethnic, skin color, gender and religious walls that separate
people are broken down, and societal challenges are faced
together. Such inter-religious cooperation does not violate the
teaching given us by Jesus.
   "We must be good neighbors. We must rethink our
individualistic ethics and social ethics." Rev. Lo reached for
other examples, mentioning how a good neighbor abides by the law
and does not neglect personal faith and morality.
    He added that, in the time since SARS spread here from China
there has been much local loss.  Responses cannot be based on a
model of punishment.  Societal ethics are especially important.
He calls for a raised level of social and individual ethics so
that the people of all nations can live and grow in an
environment of love and care.

For more information:  William J. K. Lo   wmlo@mail.pct.org.tw
		       Christian Conference of Asia
www.cca.org.hk

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local
languages.
Visit our web site: www.pctpress.com.tw