From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Stortz Named Acting President of Pacific Lutheran Seminary

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Fri, 23 May 2003 15:54:04 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

May 23, 2003

STORTZ NAMED ACTING PRESIDENT OF PACIFIC LUTHERAN SEMINARY
03-107-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Dr. Martha Ellen Stortz, professor of
historical theology and ethics, Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary
(PLTS), Berkeley, Calif., was named acting president of the seminary,
following the May 20 death of the Rev. Timothy F. Lull, PLTS
president.  PLTS is one of eight seminaries of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).
     Stortz' appointment was announced May 22 in an open letter from
the Rev. Steven L. McKinley, House of Prayer Lutheran Church,
Richfield, Minn., chair of the PLTS board of directors; the Rev.
Stanley N. Olson, executive director, ELCA Division for Ministry; and
the Rev. Jonathan P. Strandjord, ELCA director for theological
education.
     "Dr. Martha Stortz, acting dean of the faculty, has agreed to
serve as acting president until an interim president can be
appointed," they wrote.  The board intends to appoint an interim
president by the end of June and to begin the presidential search
process this fall.
     "As we grieve the death of President Tim Lull, we also give
thanks for his vision and express our own commitment to the future of
Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary.	Tim embraced and enhanced a
vision that was first shaped 50 years ago by forward-thinking
Lutherans on the West Coast," wrote McKinley, Olson and Strandjord.
     "We have lost a great leader with a great dream.  We claim that
dream as our own -- a dream that lives on in our alumni, students,
faculty, staff, board and friends," they wrote.  "The board is
committed to an exciting and vibrant future for the seminary we
love."
     "The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America believes that PLTS
is poised to continue strong and faithful and to grow in the service
of Christ's mission," wrote McKinley, Olson and Strandjord.

For information contact: