From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Christianity in action

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 24 May 2003 21:53:41 -0400

Note #7702 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Christianity in action
GA03009

Christianity in action

Organizers say GA can model commitment to peace, justice

by Alexa Smith

DENVER , May 22 In a world rife with terrorism, violence and intolerance,
the co-moderators and stated clerk of the 215th General Assembly say they
hope the gathering will counter such horrors by demonstrating a Christian
social ethic.

	The Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick, the stated clerk of the Presbyterian
Church (USA), joined the three co-moderators of the Denver Committee on Local
Arrangements (COLA) for a news conference at the Assembly site, the Colorado
Convention Center.

	The co-moderators are Sue Cornman, the Rev. Sylvia Casberg and the
Rev. Bill MacGregor.

	The theme, A House of Prayer For All Peoples, is almost
providential  (at) a time when people are tearing each other apart in the
world and in the church, Kirkpatrick said.

	Kirkpatrick said the church can witness to a Christian social ethic
as it takes up an agenda heavy with international concerns  from
international terrorism to the AIDS crisis ravaging Africa to conflict on the
Korean peninsula.

	Kirkpatrick told reporters that ecumenical delegates from churches
around the world are on hand to provide first-hand information from the
conflict-ridden corners of the globe.

	Casberg, praising the work of more than 1,000 local volunteers, said
COLA took a long time to very prayerfully and very thoughtfully choose the
leaders of its many committees to cultivate an environment of hospitality.

	 We didnt check anyones credentials  theologically, that is,
MacGregor said. Were all here. And we are all a part of the Body of Christ
as we know it. And it has been one terrific experience for all of us. He
said the committee was determined to see that no group in the PC(USA) would
be disenfranchised.

	Referring to the Assembly theme, Cornman said COLAs intention was to
be inclusive.

Weve set the table so people can minister and dialogue together, she said.
Thats been our job. We hope it happens this week.

*** For instructions on using this system (including how to UNJOIN this
meeting), send e-mail to mailrequests@ecunet.org