From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Ex-Senator calls Presbyterians to sacrifice

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 26 May 2003 21:47:08 -0400

Note #7712 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

26-May-2003
GA03022

Ex-Senator calls Presbyterians to sacrifice

Simon says U.S. Christians do a poor job of caring for the poor

by Jerry L. Van Marter

DENVER, May 26  The American government and American churches can do
better in addressing the needs of the poor in this country and around the
world, former U.S. Senator Paul Simon said during the General Assembly
Breakfast.

	For too many of us, said Simon, a Lutheran who now teaches at
Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, were known by our
indifference.

	Simon said he doesnt believe people become Presbyterians because of
something they read in the Book of Confessions. On the contrary, people come
to faith by seeing acts of compassion done in the name of Christ, he said.

	Citing Micah 6, Simon challenged his audience of several hundred
Presbyterians to be willing to sacrifice a little.

	The passage asks What does the Lord require?, not What would be
nice? As Americans, were not doing all that we should for the poor, he
said. Both political parties are too soft on us. Were too comfortable.

	Praying for solutions to poverty without picking up the tools to
address the needs, he said, is a wrong prayer.

	With just one-tenth of one percent of the U.S. budget going to
relieve poverty here and abroad, the United States ranks dead last among
industrialized nations, the former Senator said. The world cannot survive if
one-fourth of its population is overfed while three-fourths is underfed.

	Religion can be a powerful force for good, or a powerful force for
harm, he said, pointing out numerous trouble spots in the world where
conflict is rooted in differences of religion. Simon said he doesnt believe
religious conflict stems from basic beliefs, but rather from a lack of
tolerance and understanding.

	When it comes to public policy and advocacy, General Assembly
pronouncements arent enough, he said, unless they are accompanied by local
follow-through.

	Advocacy and direct action must go together, he said. Your
resolutions can be good if theyre accompanied by individual correspondence
to government representatives. Without local follow-through, youre wasting
your breath, he said.

	Simon outlined five things congregations can do to make things
better:

	l Get involved in interfaith activities  Talk is better than
nothing, but action is what the Lord requires.

	l See that the annual report includes information on what the
congregation has done to meet the needs of the poor.

	l Reach out in some way to the poor  and get acquainted with them

	l Send at least two people from the congregation each year to a
developing country, to learn first-hand about poverty in the world.

	l Be willing to do the small things.

	We all change history, he said, positively, negatively or by our
indifference. I want you to change history positively.

*** For instructions on using this system (including how to UNJOIN this
meeting), send e-mail to mailrequests@ecunet.org