From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Pastor becomes U.S. citizen after 43 years

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 26 May 2003 23:00:35 -0400

Note #7717 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

26-May-2003
GA03027

Pastor becomes U.S. citizen after 43 years

by Eva Stimson

DENVER, May 26  When he talks, it is obvious that the Rev. J. Barrie
Shepherd was not born in the United States. This retired Presbyterian
minister is known around the church for his widely published poetry and for
his delightful Scottish brogue.

	What many of his church friends may not know is that Shepherd, who
has lived in the United States for 43 years, did not become a U.S. citizen
until moved to do so by the tragic events of Sept. 11, 2001.

	Shepherd left Scotland and came to the United States for graduate
study in 1960. His wife, Mhairi, joined him a year later. They raised four
daughters together. He served as a pastor. They considered this country their
home, but on paper they remained citizens of Great Britain.

	Wed fully intended to become citizens, but its a long process,
Shepherd said while autographing books in the General Assembly Exhibit Hall.
We kept putting it off. We Scots dont believe in rushing into things.

	Then came 9/11. At the time, Shepherd was pastor of First
Presbyterian Church in New York City.

	When terrorists flew planes into the World Trade Center, Shepherd
said, eight people from our church family were killed  wonderful people
whod been very much a part of my life.

	At that point, he and his wife decided it was time to publicly affirm
their connection to their adopted land. We owe this country a lot, Shepherd
said.

	Within a week of 9/11, both had sent in their citizenship forms. Last
summer they took the required exams, and in December they were sworn in as
U.S. citizens.

	They voted for the first time in last Tuesdays primary elections.

*** For instructions on using this system (including how to UNJOIN this
meeting), send e-mail to mailrequests@ecunet.org