From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Presiding Bishop Focuses on Peace, Hope for Middle East

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 27 May 2003 15:30:47 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

May 27, 2003

ELCA PRESIDING BISHOP FOCUSES ON PEACE, HOPE FOR MIDDLE EAST
03-109-JB

     JERUSALEM (ELCA) -- The Rev. Mark S. Hanson, presiding bishop of
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), thanked members of
the Lutheran church here for their faithfulness to God and for their
efforts to promote a lasting and just peace for all people in the Middle
East.  The Lutherans' "steadfastness in the face of great suffering
becomes God's proclamation to the world," said Hanson.
     "Today, you embody the risen Christ in the world," he told the
combined churches of Arabic- and English-speaking members and invited
guests.
     Hanson, who is leading an eight-member ELCA delegation here,
preached May 25 during worship at the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer,
located in the "Old City."  The congregation is one of five of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan (and Palestine) (ELCJ).
     The Lutheran church -- which emphasizes healing, reconciliation
and building partnerships in its ministry -- consists of about 2,000
members, nearly all of whom are Palestinian.
     Hanson's message of peace and hope seemed to resonate with the
congregation.  The Rev. Munib A. Younan, ELCJ bishop, simultaneously
translated Hanson's sermon from English into Arabic.  Younan and his
staff arranged the ELCA delegation's six-day visit here.
     It was important for the ELCA delegation to "stand with" the ELCJ
and to come to the region "in humility," Hanson said.  "That's how we as
Lutheran Christians approach the throne of God's grace.  I can't imagine
the suffering you're being asked to endure every day," he said.
     Hanson preached on the same day that the Israeli cabinet, led by
Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, accepted the "road map" plan for peace
proposed by the United States, European Union, Russia and the United
Nations.  It calls for Israeli withdrawal from Palestinian land it has
occupied since 1967, and for the establishment of an independent
Palestinian state by 2005.  Younan favors the proposal.
     "With you, we pray that the 'road map' can be the first step
toward peace in the Middle East," Hanson said.	"We pray that our (U.S.)
government will support the road map."
     In the last year, Hanson has called on the U.S. government several
times to use its influence with Israelis and Palestinians to develop a
lasting peace.	In his sermon Hanson said the people of the United
States have not "exercised full power" to bring peace to the Middle East
and should repent.  Repentance, he said, means one must come to a full
stop, be turned and go in another direction, he said.
      "The full weight of the U.S. leadership must now be exercised not
as domination over the world but our standing with those who are
suffering, as together we work to bring an end to violence and to bring
peace," Hanson said
     About one year ago, Younan telephoned Hanson to talk with him
about the escalating violence here and Israeli military incursions,
especially in Bethlehem, the birthplace of Jesus.  In his sermon Hanson
recalled how Younan asked if members of the ELCA would pray for Middle
East peace and raise concerns about the violence with the U.S.
government.  Hanson also recalled how Younan asked if ELCA members were
ready to "deny themselves, pick up the cross and follow Jesus with us,"
he said.
     Hanson commented on each, emphasizing their connections with the
Bible readings for the day, found in the book of Timothy and the Gospel
of John in the Christian Bible.
     In Paul's writings to Timothy, he emphasized prayer in dealing
with difficulty, Hanson said.
     "We join you in praying for peace," Hanson told the congregation
is being open to the presence of God and being open to the power of God.
In the name of Jesus today, we pray for peace with justice, an end to
violence, an end to the occupation, and dignity for all.  We pray,
believing it is God's will to hold heaven and earth in a single peace."
     Asking members to confront U.S. elected officials about specific
Middle East concerns may sound political, but it isn't, Hanson said.  In
the Gospel of John, Hanson recalled the disciples' conversation with
Jesus in which Jesus told of his impending crucifixion, resurrection and
ascension, and how the disciples were concerned about their own fate.
In the midst of such turmoil, Jesus spoke of promise and peace, Hanson
said.
     "The peace that God gives you is the peace of Christ dwelling
within us," Hanson said.  "Peace comes from the Holy Spirit.  Nothing in
all of creation can separate us from the love of Christ.  We in the
ELCA, who belong to you by virtue of our baptism into Christ, will work
with you for peace."
     In Younan's request for faithful witness, Hanson reminded the
congregation that God conquered the world by becoming flesh in Jesus of
Nazareth and sat at tables with outcasts, extending God's mercy to those
considered to be without worth.  "The one who the world crucified is
risen, and has defeated sin and death," he said.  "Now God sends us into
the world with that ministry of peace and reconciliation."
     In a response, Younan praised Hanson and the ELCA for being a
strong, prophetic voice for peace in the world.
     "This gives us encouragement that we are not alone in the
struggle," he said. "Your prayers are a source of encouragement."
     Younan presented crosses to each of the three bishops who are part
of the ELCA delegation -- Hanson, the Rev. Stephen P. Bouman, ELCA
Metropolitan New York Synod and the Rev. Floyd M. Schoenhals, bishop of
the ELCA Arkansas-Oklahoma Synod, Tulsa, Okla.

PRESIDING BISHOP SPEAKS AT TWO HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATIONS
     While here Hanson spoke at two graduation ceremonies for students
at ELCJ schools: Talitha Kumi Lutheran School, Beit Jala, and Beit
Sahour Lutheran School, Beit Sahour.  He and the delegation also visited
Dar Al-Kalima School, Bethlehem.  Significant funding for construction
of this school was provided by the ELCA.
     At the graduations Hanson told the students and their parents that
many people in the United States see "tanks and violence" in the Middle
East, and ask Hanson what signs of hope he can offer about life here.
     "The first thing I say is look to the schools of the ELCJ," Hanson
said.  "They are teaching us the ways of nonviolence and peace."
There are five ELCJ schools in the West Bank, serving 2,000 Christian
and Muslim students, said Dr. Charlie Haddad, ELCJ director for schools.

VISITS TO ELCJ CONGREGATIONS, REFUGEE CAMP
     In addition to preaching at worship, the ELCA delegation visited
ELCJ congregations and a refugee camp May 23-25:
     + Christmas Lutheran Church, Bethlehem, serves about 200 members,
90 percent of whom are Palestinian refugees.  The 150-year-old
congregation is also home to the new International Center of Bethlehem,
a place where the community can hold meetings, concerts and conferences.
A media center, housing broadcast production facilities and providing
working space for journalists, is also included.  Construction of the
International Center -- funded by the government of Finland -- is nearly
complete.
     + Lutheran Church of the Reformation, Beit Jala, is the largest
ELCJ congregation, with 500 members.  The congregation was founded in
1870.  It is home to a boarding school for 47 boys.  The Church of the
Reformation is also refurbishing its sanctuary and constructing a guest
housing facility for visitors, Abraham's Herberge.  The $2 million
housing project is expected to be completed by late October 2003.  Most
funds were raised by the congregation, though another $500,000 is needed
to complete the work.
     + A'ida Refugee Camp, Bethlehem, is home to some 2,000 Palestinian
refugees, some of whom have been living there for more than 40 years.
-- -- --
Photos from presiding bishop's visit to the Middle East can be found at
http://www.elca.org/co/news/mideast on the Web.

For information contact: