From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Moderator quits Covenant Network board

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 28 May 2003 09:59:22 -0400

Note #7730 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Moderator quits Covenant Network board
GA03040

Moderator quits Covenant Network board

by Bill Lancaster

DENVER, May 26 - Susan Andrews, the newly-elected moderator of the 215th
General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (USA), submitted her resignation
Monday from the board of the Covenant Network of Presbyterians.

 In announcing her decision during the organization's annual General Assembly
luncheon meeting, Andrews said she was doing so in order "to be the moderator
of the whole church."

	The goal of the Covenant Network is the removal from the Book of
Order of the requirement that church officers live either in fidelity in
marriage or chastity in singleness (G-6.0106b). The measure is often seen as
a bar on the ordination of gay and lesbian Presbyterians to church office.

	Andrews said, "We share a vision of a church that is as just and
generous as God's grace."

	She said the theme text and Bible study for this Assembly were "so
relevant" to the issues of the day, adding: "Until the foreigner and eunuch
are included, we will not be a house of prayer for all people. Let us not
lose sight of this hope and vision."

*** For instructions on using this system (including how to UNJOIN this
meeting), send e-mail to mailrequests@ecunet.org