From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Committee endorses report on women clergy

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 28 May 2003 10:07:02 -0400

Note #7734 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Committee endorses report on women clergy
GA03044

Committee endorses report on women clergy

by Emily Enders Odom

DENVER, May 26 - A presentation of a report titled "Clergywomen's Experiences
in Ministry: Realities and Challenges" dominated the Monday-evening docket of
the General Assembly Committee on Church Orders and Ministry.

The committee voted to commend the report, which examined issues relating to
women in congregational ministry in the Presbyterian Church (USA), to the
full Assembly.

	The highlights of the report, which was requested by the 212th
General Assembly (2000), were presented by the Rev. Charlene M. Heaton, a
member of the Advocacy Committee on Women's Concerns (ACWC), and Dora G.
Lodwick, Ph.D., director of the Evaluation and Social Research at the REFT
Institute, in Centennial, CO.

	A survey of 1,404 PC(USA) clergywomen yielded a wealth of interesting
data on the positions held by women in the church. Among the findings: that
the average age of clergywomen was 50 years; that more than two-thirds of
female clergy were married; that 78 percent were mothers.

	"This complicates the life of women serving churches," Lodvick said.

	The women ministers' chief concerns were professional burnout and
self-care. More than three-fourths talked about having experienced
discrimination in the call process. Many said they sensed that pastor
nominating committees are unwilling to call women.

	Several committee members raised questions about the broader
implications of the survey. Asked why a parallel study of male ministers'
attitudes and opinions was not conducted, the Rev. Joanne Sizoo, chair of the
ACWC, cited a shortage of funds.

	"We believe that studies like this and your response to the (ACWC)
recommendations will not just make life better for clergywomen, but also for
clergymen, and a healthier PC(USA)," Sizoo said.

	Committee member Nancy Hall Berens, an elder from National Capital
Presbytery, said of the survey: "It makes me want to go home and talk to my
pastor: 'Are you experiencing any of these things? What can we do to help
you?'"

	Cynthia Burse, a Theological Student Advisory Delegate, commented on
her own calling to the ministry, saying: "I knew I would have to make
sacrifices and challenges. I knew it would be very difficult to do. I didn't
go into it thinking it would be for the faint of heart."

	By a vote of 60-1, with three abstentions, the committee approved the
whole report for presentation to the Assembly. Its 11 recommendations call on
the church "at every level to raise awareness about gender discrimination in
the church."

	A related resolution titled "Celebrating Ministry of Women,"
presented by the Rev. Deborah L. Paton and the Rev. Jennifer Parker Wrzeszcz,
both of Chicago, was approved unanimously.

*** For instructions on using this system (including how to UNJOIN this
meeting), send e-mail to mailrequests@ecunet.org