From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Middle East Delegation Meets Jerusalem Church Leaders

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Wed, 28 May 2003 12:42:08 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

May 28, 2003

ELCA MIDDLE EAST DELEGATION MEETS JERUSALEM CHURCH LEADERS
03-111-JB

     JERUSALEM (ELCA) -- Saying the leaders of Christian churches here
are "a sign of hope for Christians throughout the whole world," the Rev.
Mark S. Hanson, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA), paid tribute to each for working together  to bring
peace to the Middle East.
     Hanson made the comment at an ecumenical dinner May 26, at which
he met representatives of the 13 Christian churches of Jerusalem.  He
led an eight-member ELCA delegation May 22-27 to show support for the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan (and Palestine) (ELCJ). The trip
through Jerusalem and the West Bank included meetings with church
leaders and leaders of the State of Israel and the Palestinian National
Authority (PNA).
     During the ELCA delegation's visit, the Israeli Cabinet endorsed
the "road map" for Middle East peace, a plan proposed by the United
States, European Union, Russia and the United Nations.	This significant
step, plus new PNA leadership, has given many people here reason for
guarded optimism about the peace process.
     "You become the model for us, showing how Christians who have not
yet resolved all their theological differences will come together out of
sense of urgency for justice and out of a sense of passion for peace,"
Hanson told the representatives. "I will go back to the United States
and say to my fellow religious leaders, 'we must have a greater sense of
urgency for peace in the Middle East.  We must follow those leaders who
sit together, 13 of you, and follow you who are leading us.'"
     The Rev. Munib A. Younan, ELCJ bishop, told the group Hanson is a
"prophetic voice" for peace.  "We have good relations among our
churches," Younan said.  "We are growing together day by day.  Our rich
ecumenical life in this part of the world can be a sign of hope."
     Calling Hanson's visit "a joyful event," His Grace Aristarchos,
archbishop, representing the Greek Orthodox patriarch, said, "We as
Christians share the fact that the Holy Land is the place of Jesus'
birth, life, crucifixion and death.  We are strengthened by your visit."
     Aristarchos said the ELCA has a "strong witness" in the world.
     "You have come to this troubled country," said his Beatitude
Tonkom Mangoonian, Armenian patriarch.	"If we felt left alone, it would
be a desperate, unbearable situation.  We pray and thank God, because we
know why you are here."
     "We need you to spread the word and be ambassadors for the Holy
Land," the patriarch added.
     "We, the ELCA, continue to deplore violence," Hanson said. "We
grieve with the parents of Israeli children who are killed, but we also
stand in solidarity with Palestinian people for we know that justice
will not come until the occupation ends."
     "I think it's a sign of hope that what we see in the 'road map' is
echoed in the Alexandria decree," Hanson added.  "It was, in fact,
Christian, Jewish and Muslim leaders who paved the way (in the decree)
that became the road map of political leaders. Maybe ... it will be
religious communities that come and lead the rest of the world to find
peace."
-- -- --
Photos from presiding bishop's visit to the Middle East can be
found at http://www.elca.org/co/news/mideast on the Web.

For information contact: