From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Mariners ministry rewrites its name tag

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 28 May 2003 20:34:19 -0400

Note #7750 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Mariners ministry rewrites its name tag
GA03061

Mariners ministry rewrites its name tag

by Nancy D. Borst

DENVER, May 27 - During its annual General Assembly luncheon Tuesday,
Presbyterian Mariners announced that it has changed its name to Presbyterian
Families.

The new name reflects the nature of the 75-year-old organization, a national
organization of people who minister to families in local congregations.

	President Bob Briggs said the luncheon was one of the first
opportunities to make the name-change known to the national church, although
it became official in July 2002.

	The organization honored two of its former national executive
secretaries, Larry and Carolyn Gabbard, of Arvada, CO, who helped with the
two-year process of changing the organization's name.

	Peter Pizor, the current national executive secretary, told an
audience of 65 men and women that the key to successful family ministry today
is an awareness of the ever-changing "landscape of mission." To be
successful, he said, a ministry must relate to today's fast-paced, "culture
of abundance," in which families embrace technology and all it has to offer.

	"When we go to spread the gospel, we have to know what's going on,"
he said. "We need to be a 'church on the go.'"

	Pizor said healthy, growing congregations are characterized by
qualities including devotion to core values, a willingness to "prospect" for
new ideas, and an ability to connect positively and genuinely with individual
members.

*** For instructions on using this system (including how to UNJOIN this
meeting), send e-mail to mailrequests@ecunet.org