From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Older Adult network hopes to raise $6 million

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 28 May 2003 20:52:39 -0400

Note #7753 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Older Adult network hopes to raise $6 million
GA03064

Older Adult network hopes to raise $6 million

By Emett Barfield

DENVER, May 27 - Presbyterian Older Adult Ministry (POAM) announced during
its General Assembly breakfast Tuesday that it is launching a capital
campaign with a goal of raising $6 million by 2006.

President Margaret Suttle said the fund now stands at $250,00. If the
campaign is successful, she said, POAM will be self-supporting.

	Marian Dunson, associate for Older Adult Ministries in the
Congregational Ministries Division, reminded the diners about AGEnda, a
quarterly publication of the Office of Older Adult Ministries that covers
issues of interest to older adults. She encouraged her listeners to view and
download AGEnda from the Internet, at http//horeb.pcusa.org/olderadults/.

	Dunson said she plans to retire soon, but will continue to be an
active advocate for older adults.

	The Rev. Fahed Abu-Akel, moderator of last year's General Assembly,
delivered a "State of the Church" address, recounting many events of his year
as moderator. "We must celebrate what God is doing in this day," he said.

	During a question-and-answer session, Abu-Akel was asked how the
church is addressing "issues of concern to older adults, such as health care,
prescription drugs, Social Security, Medicare." Abu-Akel responded, "Your
church is speaking out, and when we do, we help every level of society."

	The moderator of this Assembly, the Rev. Susan R. Andrews, paid a
surprise visit to greet the group and express appreciation for its work. She
said POAM is of great value to her as she cares for her parents, who are in
their 80s. She said the church has important ministries to families as
members pass through "life cycles."

*** For instructions on using this system (including how to UNJOIN this
meeting), send e-mail to mailrequests@ecunet.org