From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] 'Education is crucial,' Abu-Akel tells APCE

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 28 May 2003 23:05:38 -0400

Note #7755 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

'Education is crucial,' Abu-Akel tells APCE
GA03066

'Education is crucial,' Abu-Akel tells APCE

by Nancy Rodman

DENVER, May 26 - Presbyterian Christian educators enthusiastically received
the Rev. Fahed Abu-Akel, moderator of the 214th General Assembly (2002) at
the annual Assembly luncheon of the Association of Presbyterian Church
Educators (APCE).

	 "The Christian educator's role is more important now than ever
before," Abu-Akel told the group. "Education is crucial for a better America,
a healthy America. We need to understand languages, cultures, and the
religions of the world."

	Abu-Akel noted that, although Indonesia is the world's largest Muslim
country, it has more Presbyterian and Reformed Christians than the United
States.

	"We need to educate people to what is going on around the world," he
said, saying he believes every mission trip should include a Christian
educator or two. "We need to get out of our box and understand conditions in
the world. If mission around the world is going to be successful, we need
Christian educators to educate the children."

	Another guest at the APCE luncheon was Grace Yuell, a professor of
Christian education at Presbyterian College and the author of this year's
Assembly Bible study, who spoke on "The Connection between Mission and
Education."

	She evoked the memory of women, many years ago, riding horseback
through Appalachia with Bibles attached to their belts, taking the gospel to
children as mission extension workers. "Education has always had an integral
role in bringing the church's mission to life," she said.

	The challenge for educators, she added, is "to get back into the
Great Commission." She said she had a revelation recently upon rereading the
Gospel of Matthew that "Go, therefore, and make disciples" means to make
students.

	To make students, she said, is to introduce them to their greatest
teacher, Jesus Christ, making them students throughout their lifetime
encounters with Christ.  She said educators must know about the mission of
the church and convey it to their congregations. "There are amazing things
going on out there," she said.

*** For instructions on using this system (including how to UNJOIN this
meeting), send e-mail to mailrequests@ecunet.org