From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Common-cents ministry

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 30 May 2003 23:04:10 -0400

Note #7801 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Common-cents ministry
GA03112

Common-cents ministry

Grocery-coupon redemption project benefits Capitol Hill neighborhood

By Vicki Fogel Mykles

DENVER, MAY 27 - Raising mission dollars is only common cents for a group of
volunteers working with the interfaith Capitol Hill United Ministries (CHUM).

Using ordinary grocery coupons like those that come in every Sunday
newspaper, CHUM raises more than $36,000 a year to support the non-profit
agencies that serve their low-income district. The 14-year old Coupon
Redemption Program benefits the homeless, the hungry, the mentally ill, AIDS
victims, children, youth, and seniors in the Capitol Hill neighborhood.

Every week, thousands of coupons are collected by CHUM's 16 affiliated
churches and processed by a team of volunteers. The coupons are sorted,
trimmed, labeled, folded, and categorized before being attached to products
in a Capitol Hill King Sooper's grocery.

Customers who buy the products are asked to donate the coupons back to the
CHUM program.

"The project has been around long enough that most people who shop at this
market are familiar with it," said Richard Moore, a Methodist volunteer.
"They are happy to donate coupons back to CHUM. Sometimes, a family needs to
redeem the coupon for themselves, and we are happy for them to do so if it
helps them up-front."

Once a week, volunteers collect and count the coupons donated back to the
market. Their monetary value is submitted to King Sooper's for cash
redemption. "We collect about $700 a week from this effort," said Episcopal
volunteer Karen Hansen "We meet monthly to receive grant requests from the
various schools and non-profit agencies that serve our neighborhood.  We
issue $1,000 and $2,000 grants as soon as we have funding."

Agencies normally receive one grant per year.

The Coupon Redemption Program is as open and ecumenical as the neighborhood
it serves. The volunteers are men, women, and children. One blind volunteer
arrives by bus every week to help fold. Some volunteers who live outside of
the district feel so strongly about the program that they show up every week.

A local school for mentally challenged young people sends students over to
help with the clipping and folding. "These kids just love to help out, and we
appreciate their contribution," Hansen said. "We are truly reflective of
God's people."

On Monday, May 26, a vanload of General Assembly participants joined the
unique program briefly in a "hands-on" Mission/Cultural Tour excursion.
Snipping, clipping and folding, they joined the ranks of volunteers in a
mission that makes cents.

For more information about this unique ministry, or to learn how to start one
like it, write Capitol Hill United Ministries, 1630 East 14th Avenue, Denver,
CO 80218, call 303-388-1247, or email maryad630@earthlink.net

*** For instructions on using this system (including how to UNJOIN this
meeting), send e-mail to mailrequests@ecunet.org