From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Doors galore

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 30 May 2003 23:08:37 -0400

Note #7804 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Doors galore
GA03115

Doors galore

Assembly memento depicts Presbyterian portals of welcome, acceptance

by Vicki Fogel Mykles

DENVER, May 30 - Jo Culbertson, a member of the Committee on Local
Arrangements (COLA) for the 215th General Assembly, wanted to produce an item
commemorating the Denver Assembly that would reflect its theme, "A House of
Prayer for All Peoples" (Isaiah 56:7-8).

	She found what she needed during a visit by the COLA team to the
214th Assembly in Columbus, OH, last year. During a tour of the host city,
she was impressed by the variety of church architectural styles and the
individuality of the doors of various houses of worship.

	She suggested a "Doors of the Presbyterian Church (USA)" poster,
modeled after a popular poster depicting the church doors of Ireland.

	"Our original idea was to feature the doors of Denver's churches, but
there wasn't enough variety in this region," Culbertson said. So, with the
help of an article in Presbyterians Today magazine, she issued a national
plea for churches to submit their doors for consideration.

	Presbyterians loved the idea. Photos of doors soon began arriving
from all over the country. "We received over 100 submissions," Culbertson
said. "One even came in from Israel!" Many photos came with descriptions,
dates, architects' names and other information.

	For example: Christ Presbyterian Church, of Tucson, AZ, submitted a
photo of its doors, hand-carved by church member June Hirsch, who carved
Christian symbols on 40 panels for two sets of double doors.

	According to Culbertson, doors that were chosen for the poster
represent a diversity of architectural styles. One seminary door is included,
from Louisville Theological Seminary. Also included: the carved wooden chapel
doors from the Presbyterian Center in Louisville.

	"We are very pleased with the results," Culberston said. "This poster
depicts the portals of welcome and acceptance through which we all enter into
the family of Christ."

	To order a four-color, suitable-for-framing Doors poster, contact Jo
Culbertson by email at joculdes@aol.com.

*** For instructions on using this system (including how to UNJOIN this
meeting), send e-mail to mailrequests@ecunet.org