From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: News Briefs

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Tue, 3 Jun 2003 12:31:18 -0400

June 3, 2003

2003-122

Episcopalians: News Briefs

Church officials meeting in Geneva reject legitimacy of G-8
summit

(ENI) Church officials and protestors who met during the summit
of the Group of Eight nations in Evian, France, which ended on
June 3, rejected the legitimacy of the grouping of the most
industrialized nations, also known as the G-8.

"We see the G-8 as an illegitimate group because they were not
elected by anybody to rule the world," said Rogate Mshana,
economy and justice program executive for the World Council of
Churches (WCC), at the Ecumenical Centre in Geneva, about 25
miles from the summit.

"On whose behalf are they speaking?" Mshana said at a meeting on
Monday hosted by the general secretaries of four world church
bodies headquartered in the Ecumenical Centre--the WCC, the
Lutheran World Federation, the Conference of European Churches
and the World Alliance of Reformed Churches.

The leaders of Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan,
Russia and the United States held talks on June 1-3 on the world
economy, security, democracy and the global fight against
HIV/AIDS. During the G-8 gathering an amalgam of protestors said
to number between 50,000 and 120.000 tried to disrupt the
meeting of industrial leaders by marching in Geneva and
Lausanne, the Swiss cities closest to Evian, and in neighboring
Annemasse, France.

Most of the demonstrations were peaceful with discussions like
those taking place at the WCC occurring in different locations,
but some street protests during the three days resulted in
violent attacks against property that were put down by riot
police using rubber bullets, water cannons and teargas.

The ecumenical meeting was called in part to counter a
perception that local news media had emphasized the fear of
violence rather than the positive elements of the peaceful
protest.

Orthodox leader in Georgia apologizes for attack on minority
churches

(ENI) An Orthodox church leader in the former Soviet republic of
Georgia has apologized after appearing on television and urging
Georgians to kill members of minority churches.

Orthodox Metropolitan Atanase of Rustavi met Malkhaz
Songulashvili, president of Georgia's Union of Evangelical
Baptists, on May 18 and apologized for televised remarks in
February in which Atanase said Orthodox Christians should "fight
and kill" Baptists, Anglicans, Protestants, Pentecostalists and
Jehovah's Witnesses.

The metropolitan's remarks were denounced by the Georgian
Orthodox Church, whose spokesperson said the church had been
"astonished" by what Atanase said, the Keston News Service
reported.

"We don't need sects--we are a pure Orthodox nation," the
metropolitan had told Georgian television viewers. "You should
destroy not only their computers--they have to be shot dead. Had
it been in the old times, I would have thrown them all in jail."
Minority churches have repeatedly complained of harassment in
Georgia, whose Orthodox church claims the loyalty of 70 per cent
of the country's more than 5 million inhabitants.

Atanase's meeting with Songulashvili in May followed a letter of
apology delivered the previous month to the central Baptist
church in Tbilisi, Georgia's capital, in which Atanase wished
"long life" to Songulashvili, who he described as a "holy and
great man, one of the leaders of a great church."

Songulashvili said after the meeting on 18 May that he was
"surprised and delighted" by the metropolitan's apology. "He
kept saying he never meant to do anything against Christian
churches here," Songulashvili said in an interview with ENI.
"Although I've no clear picture why he apologized, it's enough
that he made this gesture."

Georgia's president, Eduard Shevardnadze, had ordered measures
earlier this year to protect small churches after a Baptist
church in the capital was attacked by followers of a defrocked
Orthodox priest.

Church leaders embark on sea cruise to highlight ecological
problems

(ENI) European church leaders are to set sail this month for a
four-day cruise off the Norwegian coast to focus attention on
the environmental dangers facing the North Sea.

Led by Patriarch Bartholomeos I, spiritual leader of the world's
Orthodox Christians, who is sometimes nicknamed the Green
patriarch because of his commitment to environmental causes, the
60 participants are scheduled to start the cruise on June 22.

"Through this initiative, we wish to show that the churches are
concerned with the sea as a resource to us and to generations to
come," said the organizer of the trip, the Rev. Olav Fykse Tveit
of the (Lutheran) Church of Norway, in a press release.

Church leaders from countries bordering the North Sea--England,
Scotland, Ireland, Iceland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden and
Norway--have also been invited to come aboard. Norway's
environment minister will join the cruise for part of the
journey, which begins in Egersund, in southern Norway, and ends
in Alesund, in the west of the country, on June 25.

On the way, participants will disembark at Utstein Monastery,
near Stavanger, for a seminar on environmental policy to be
attended by Norway's minister of petroleum and energy, and at
Bergen for a meeting on pollution of the oceans and fishing
policy.

The cruise is being organized by the Church of Norway to
coincide with the assembly of the Conference of European
Churches, which opens in the northern Norwegian city of
Trondheim on June 25. The church said it had been inspired to
organize the cruise by Patriarch Bartholomeos, who has already
hosted a number of environmental cruises, including one on the
Danube in 1999 and one on the Adriatic Sea in 2002. From June
1-10, the patriarch will take part in another cruise, this one
on the Baltic Sea.

Anglican bishop views damage from earthquakes in Algiers

(ENS) The Rt. Rev. Mouneer Anis, Bishop of the Episcopal Church
in Egypt and North Africa, paid a pastoral visit May 24 to the
scene of the deadliest earthquake in Algiers since 1980.

The temblor, measuring 6.7 on the Richter scale, struck some 30
miles east of Algiers on May 21. The official toll stands at
2,251 dead and 10,243 injured, with hundreds still missing.

Anis was on his way to Algiers to discuss matters relating to
the local Episcopal church, Holy Trinity, with the British
Embassy and the British Community Association when the
earthquake occurred. "I tried to contact friends in Algiers to
find out about the situation but I was unable to get through
because all communications were down," Anis wrote. "Despite
this, I decided to go so that I would at least be among the
people there during this disaster."

Anis surveyed the damage to the church. "I was sorry to see that
the earthquake caused some serious cracks in the tower such that
it was necessary for them to remove it before it fell," he
reported. "There were multiple cracks inside the church as well.
As a result, there is a lot of repair work required to ensure
the church is safe."

He also toured the epicenter of the quake, Bomerdas, where a
number of houses had collapsed, and visited with Algeria's
Minister of Religious Affairs to convey condolences on behalf of
the Episcopal Church in Egypt, the Archbishop of Canterbury and
the Interfaith Committee of Al-Azhar.

German ecumenical meeting ends with calls for unity near old
dividing wall

(ENI)The biggest-ever official gathering in Germany uniting
Protestants and Roman Catholics ended June 1, in Berlin, with an
ecumenical service attended by tens of thousands of people. But
the sharing of the Eucharist or Holy Communion did not carry the
approval of Pope John Paul II.

"The Ecumenical Kirchentag [church congress] was a great step
forward on the path of Christian ecumenism," Hans Joachim Meyer,
one of the event's co-presidents, told worshippers. "No one can
tear apart what now unites us."

The June 1 service took place in front of the Reichstag, the
seat of Germany's parliament, just meters from where Berlin was
once divided by a concrete wall guarded by watchtowers. The
Berlin Wall has long since vanished, but Catholics and
Protestants remain divided over whether they can share together
in the Eucharist, the sacrament that commemorates Jesus' last
supper with his disciples and in which bread and wine are
consecrated and consumed.

Senior politicians, including German Chancellor Gerhard
Schroeder, joined church leaders, writers, musicians, artists
and journalists, as well as religious leaders from outside
Germany, at the congress, which included more than 3000 events.
At one event, the Dalai Lama, the leader of Tibetan Buddhism,
addressed a crowd of 20,000 people. At another, the Latin (Roman
Catholic) Patriarch of Jerusalem, Michel Sabbah, and Israeli
politician, Rabbi Michael Melchior, outlined challenges facing
Christians and Jews in the Middle East.

Organizers said when they launched the plans for the Kirchentag
in 1996 that they hoped it would culminate in a shared
Eucharist. But the most recent encyclical of the Pope restated
the traditional Catholic teaching that prevents Protestants and
Catholics from sharing in the Eucharist and is seen as putting
an end to hopes for such a ceremony. Still, the gathering heard
calls, often greeted by standing ovations, for rapid progress on
the issue of Eucharistic sharing. Elisabeth Raiser, the
Kirchentag's Protestant co-president, said she hoped church
leaders would quickly seek common ground on outstanding
doctrinal issues that would produce results. "What use are
discussions, if nothing changes in practice?" she said.

The Vatican's top official for inter-church relations reminded
the gathering that "there is no alternative to ecumenism," but
defended a recent papal document restating Roman Catholic
doctrine preventing Protestants and Catholics from sharing the
Eucharist. "Ecumenism is not an added-extra for Christians, not
a hobby for a few people," said Cardinal Walter Kasper,
president of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian
Unity. "Ecumenism is at the centre of what it means to be a
Christian."

"Our hope is that the 21st century will be the century of
ecumenical unity," said Kasper in a speech on Friday that ended
with a standing ovation. Kasper reaffirmed that for the Catholic
church the aim of ecumenism was "visible unity in faith, the
sacraments and ministry." But he acknowledged that the Catholic
vision focused on the papacy was "not acceptable--at least in
its present form--to non-Catholic Christians" and noted that
Pope John Paul II had himself proposed a "fraternal discussion"
on the way in which the papal office was exercised.

On the subject of the Eucharist, the cardinal said progress in
overcoming divisions could not be made through "public pressure,
public polemics, demonstrations and controversy." He dismissed
suggestions that the recent papal encyclical restating Catholic
teaching on the Eucharist signified a "set-back" for ecumenism.
"You cannot criticize the Pope just because in his latter years
in this encyclical he has not become a Protestant," said Kasper.

The encyclical did not prevent "pastoral solutions" in special
cases, Kasper insisted. "I have never experienced, still less
have myself practiced, that someone who comes with serious
intent to the Eucharist is turned away."

The previous evening, hundreds of people packed into a Berlin
church for an ecumenical service at which Gotthold Hasenhuttl, a
Roman Catholic priest and professor of systematic theology,
inviting non-Catholics to take the bread and wine at the
Catholic Eucharist over which he presided. The service took
place at a Protestant church in eastern Berlin overflowing with
an estimated 2500 worshippers. Speaking to journalists after the
service, Hasenhuttl said he stood by his actions and claimed he
had broken no church rule. "I hope what we have done tonight
will take place more and more often," he told ENI.

However, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, the Vatican's chief
doctrinal watchdog, had earlier condemned the event, saying it
was a "political action," the German news agency dpa reported.
The service was not part of the Kirchentag's official program.
It was organized by groups campaigning for church reform.

Still, noted Christian Weisner, from Wir sind Kirche (We Are
Church), one of the organizers of the service, Protestants and
Catholics receiving the Eucharist from one another has been "the
practice for years, for decades in Germany and elsewhere. It
would be an anti-ecumenical signal if this was happening
everywhere but [did] not [happen] at this first Ecumenical
Kirchentag," he said in an interview.

Catholic Cardinal Karl Lehmann acknowledged people had a "deep
longing" for a common Eucharist, and said the Berlin event would
give it a "new impetus." "It's now time to go full steam ahead,"
said Lehmann, chairman of the German Bishops' Conference. On May
30, 16 German denominations, including Protestant, Catholic and
Orthodox churches, signed the Charta Oecumenica (ecumenical
charter), a set of guidelines for promoting cooperation, towards
the "visible unity" of the church.

Organizers said that altogether, about 200,000 people from
Germany and beyond came to the German capital for the five-day
event.

Liberian higher learning institutions want cease-fire

(The NEWS/Monrovia)  Institutions of higher learning in Liberia
have renewed calls for the Liberian government and dissident
factions to declare an immediate and unconditional cease-fire,
ending the vicious circle of violence that continues to ravage
the country.

The University of Liberia (UL), Cuttington University College
(CUC), the African Methodist Episcopal University (AMEU), United
Methodist University(UMU), Don Bosco Polytechnic, the AME Zion
University College and the William V.S. Tubman College of
Technology said the unrest in Liberia has exacerbated the
already slow development of human resources in the country, and
parties to the conflict must see the Akosombo peace talks slated
for Wednesday, June 4, in Ghana as a window of opportunity to
dialogue and restore peace.

The educational institutions maintained that the continuous
closures of learning facilities and other social service
institutions inevitably impede socio-economic and political
development and further increase the illiteracy rate in Liberia.

Their call was contained in a nine-count resolution issued May
30 following a one-day summit on the search for peace in Liberia
held on the main campus of the University of Liberia. The
one-day summit was attended by the presidents, faculty and
students representatives of the UL, CUC, AMEU, AMEZUC, William
V. S. Tubman College of Technology and the Don Bosco
Polytechnic.

In the resolution, the group lamented that the situation in the
country has reached a state where it constitutes a threat to
international peace and security, calling on the United Nations,
the African Union and ECOWAS to assume their charter
responsibilities in dictating an end to the carnage.

Among other things, the higher institutions of learning pointed
to the closure of the College of Health of the United Methodist
University in Ganta, Nimba County and the relocation of
Cuttington University College to Monrovia as some of the ways in
which the crises have affected the educational sector.

Members of Memphis congregation leave to form AMiA parish

(ENS) At a meeting held May 31, members of Church of the
Annunciation in Memphis, Tennessee, announced their individual
decisions to leave the Episcopal Church and affiliate with the
Anglican Mission in America, taking the name Faith Anglican
Church. Bishop Don E. Johnson of the Diocese of West Tennessee
was present at the meeting.

In a pastoral letter to the congregation, Johnson acknowledged
the right of individuals to worship wherever they desired, yet
expressed his hope that the individuals considering leaving
would reconsider. After receiving clarification from the elected
leadership of the church and the members of the staff that they
had decided to disassociate from the Episcopal Church, the
bishop accepted their respective resignations effective
immediately. The Rev. Herb Hand, rector, also declared his
intent to leave. Hand was inhibited from the exercise of his
priestly ministry effective immediately.

"This was a sad day for me personally and for all the people of
the Episcopal Church of the Annunciation," said Johnson. "While
I do not support the choice of those individuals to leave, I
wish them Godspeed. We are lessened by their decision to abandon
the fellowship of this communion."

In a June 2 letter to members of the diocese, Johnson called for
prayers of support for the members of Church of the
Annunciation, their newly emerging leadership team and himself
as work progresses on rebuilding.

Johnson said, "Their decision to leave has not changed the
mission of the church in West Tennessee. Our mission is to
proclaim by word and example the good news of God in Christ. We
do not choose to see our mission through the lens of fear."

The  transition to new leadership at Church of the Annunciation
has begun. On June 1, the normal morning worship was held, and
in the afternoon the bishop met with those committed to
continuing with the Church of the Annunciation. Johnson has
provided for worship and pastoral and temporal care for the
congregation for the next few weeks and plans another meeting in
mid-June.

Bishop Tharp dies after extended illness

(ENS) The Rt. Rev. Robert Gould Tharp, second bishop of the
Episcopal Diocese of East Tennessee, died Friday, May 30, 2003.
He was 74.

"Along with the Diocese of East Tennessee and many friends
throughout the Episcopal Church, I will miss Bob Tharp's
enthusiasm, optimism and example as a Christian leader," said
the Rt. Rev. Charles G. vonRosenberg, who was consecrated as
third bishop of East Tennessee upon Tharp's retirement in 1999.
"Bob has served as a mentor and guide for me, and I am grateful
to God for the life and witness of this fine man and friend."

Tharp was elected bishop coadjutor Nov. 17, 1990, during a
special meeting of the Sixth Annual Convention of the Diocese of
East Tennessee. He was consecrated on May 4, 1991, and was
installed as diocesan bishop on December 7, 1991, at St. John's
Cathedral in Knoxville. He succeeded as diocesan bishop the Rt.
Rev. William E. Sanders, first bishop of East Tennessee, when
Sanders retired Jan. 1, 1992.

"When I became diocesan bishop, I invited Bob to be Canon to the
Ordinary because of his devoted work as a parish priest with the
clergy and laity and his pastoral ministry with them--and in
light of their obvious confidence in him. That began for us a
companionship in the ministry," said Sanders. "He's been a
devoted and able leader at every level of the church's life. His
heart was in his ministry completely, in his guidance and
worship, in his eloquent preaching and in his pastoral care of
the people of the church and of the community."

Born in Orlando, Fla., on Oct. 25, 1928, Tharp graduated from
Wesleyan University, Middletown, Connecticut, in 1950 with a
Bachelor of Arts degree. He earned his Master of Divinity degree
from Seabury-Western Theological Seminary near Chicago in 1956,
the same year he was ordained deacon. Ordained as a priest in
1957, he was vicar and rector at four churches in Florida from
1956 until 1968. Tharp came to Tennessee in 1969 to become
rector of St. Peter's Church in Columbia. He served there until
1978, when he became Canon to the Ordinary for the Diocese of
Tennessee. In 1985, the Diocese of East Tennessee was formed,
and Tharp became the Canon to the Ordinary of the new diocese.

He was five times a deputy to General Convention and was elected
to the Executive Council of the Episcopal Church in 1988. In
1989, Tharp traveled to Burundi and Rwanda in Africa as the
Episcopal Church USA's representative to the Partners-in-Mission
Consultation for the Provinces of Burundi, Rwanda and Zaire. He
continued to serve after retirement, accepting an appointment
just two months later from Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold as
chairman of the board of directors for Episcopal Relief and
Development.

Tharp is survived by his wife of 22 years, Ann Bradford Tharp,
and by a daughter, a son, four grandchildren, a sister, three
stepdaughters, a stepson, and five step-grandchildren.

In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to Episcopal
Relief and Development, 815 2nd Ave., New York, NY 10017; Kanuga
Conferences, Inc., P.O. Box 250, Hendersonville, NC; or the
Diocese of East Tennessee, 401 Cumberland Ave., Knoxville, TN
37902.

------