From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3460 North Yorkshire church raises one million pounds for

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Fri, 6 Jun 2003 16:01:49 +0100

      ACNS 3460     |	  ENGLAND     |     6 JUNE 2003

North Yorkshire church raises one million pounds for building projects

[Diocese of Ripon and Leeds] A special service will be held on Sunday 8 June
to celebrate the major redevelopment of a 176-year-old Ripon church
building. The congregation at Holy Trinity, Ripon, has given an astonishing
#1 million, with #900,000 of the total being used for the 'Space Project',
an ambitious building scheme to create a new worship space and facilities
for the local community. An additional #100,000 will be used to support
similar projects in third world communities. This Sunday 8 June at 3pm the
Bishop of Ripon and Leeds, the Rt Revd John Packer, will take part in a
service of Thanksgiving and Dedication to mark the completion of Phase One
of the project.

Holy Trinity's vicar, the Revd David Mann, said, "I am deeply grateful to
God and to the members of the congregation for their sacrificial generosity
in giving this amazing sum of money to these projects. I am also thrilled
that the PCC has decided that we should give away 10% of what we have
received to support similar projects in third world countries."

Commenting on the decision to give away 10% of the sum donated to the
project, the Revd Mann said, "In view of God's goodness in providing so
generously for us and for our needs, we thought that it was only right to
think about others less fortunate than ourselves. It is a privilege to be
able to share with other communities what has been provided so generously
for us."