From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3461 Virtual Bible Study through diocesan links

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Sat, 7 Jun 2003 14:25:30 +0100

      ACNS 3461     |	  ENGLAND     |     7 JUNE 2003

Virtual Bible Study through diocesan links

[ACNS source: Diocese of Bradford] From Sunday 8 June, Christians in the
Dioceses of Bradford and Salisbury will be joining with others from the
Episcopal Church of Sudan and the Anglican diocese of Southwestern Virginia
to form a 'virtual Bible study' - a unique way of studying a Bible passage
that will give each group the perspective of different cultures.

Both English dioceses have close links with the dioceses of Sudan and
Southwestern Virginia. Bridget Rees, the Links Officer for the Bradford
Diocese says, "The Virtual Bible study is an excellent example of what our
diocesan links with the world church are about - people in different
situations, with different experiences and expectations exploring separately
and together what God is saying to us in our own situations as well as
together in the world. This method of Bible Study is used much in the so
called third world - ordinary people reading the text and letting it speak
to them directly - emotionally as well as intellectually - rather than
worrying too much what theologians have said about the passage."

She added, "The groups will be studying Acts 2 during the week which begins
with Pentecost Sunday. They will reflect on what God is saying to us here
and now in this passage in our particular situation. Then a summary of each
group's study will be circulated among the other groups who will then read
it again having seen how others read God's word.

"If there's enough interest, in September we may continue the discussion or
study a different passage."