From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: World Refugee Day highlights continuing crisis

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Mon, 9 Jun 2003 16:32:54 -0400

June 9, 2003

2003-128

Episcopalians: World Refugee Day highlights continuing crisis

by James Solheim

(ENS) In proclaiming June 20 as World Refugee Day, United
Nations High Commissioner for Refugees Rudd Lubbers is urging
faith-based agencies--as well as human rights organizations--to
acknowledge the ongoing crisis of refugees and lift up the
courage and contributions of refugees to countries giving them
safety and a chance to begin their lives anew.

Richard Parkins, director of Episcopal Migration Ministries
(EMM), is encouraging all of its 28 affiliate offices to join
with local groups in giving meaning to this day. As a possible
theme for observances, Parkins called attention to the recent
annual report of the US Committee for Refugees citing the
increase in the worldwide refugee population from 15 to 19
million persons. Churches are urged to advocate for a more
generous admissions policy by the US Government, an advocacy
that has been the longstanding position of the Episcopal Church.

Parkins commented that "the decline in US admissions since
September 11, 2001 reflects a significant retreat by the US
Government from this nation's historic commitment to being
generous in its willingness to protect persecuted persons." He
pointed out that the fact that the US expects to admit no more
than 25,000 refugees this year--a repeat of last year's low
number of refugee arrivals--contrasts sharply with the admission
level of 132,000 just 10 years ago.

"There has been a steady decline in US admissions for the past
decade," he said, but after the 9-11 terrorist attacks "the
decline has become so dramatic as to question whether the US
intends to be a leader in responding to the humanitarian crisis
of millions of forcibly uprooted persons."

A welcoming nation?

Speaking informally a few weeks ago with a group of executives
from national resettlement agencies--including Episcopal
Migration Ministries--Lubbers cited the low resettlement numbers
for the US as a factor that is contributing to a worsening of
the international refugee crisis. The High Commissioner
identified the failure of refugees to move from squalid camps
overseas as a factor contributing to the frustration,
desperation, and hopelessness that abets the recruitment of
child combatants and exacerbates forces that cause instability
and civil conflict.

Countries that accept fleeing neighbors for temporary sanctuary
are less hospitable if refugees do not move toward resettlement
and remain in the misery of overcrowded refugee camps. "Closing
our doors to refugees not only denies rescue to the world's most
vulnerable persons but adds to influences that destabilize
regions and foment unrest and violence," the commissioner said.

In keeping with the spirit of being a welcoming nation, Parkins
called attention to the recent resolution of the Executive
Council of the Episcopal Church opposing both the abuses of
immigrants and asylum seekers and any further expansion of the
Patriot Act which has given cover to the government's detention
of immigrants without regard to fair and humane treatment .

"More recently, an internal review of the government's treatment
of immigrants conducted by the Justice Department itself
underscores what civil and immigrant rights groups have been
saying for the past 18 months--that gross violations of the
rights of immigrants are occurring in the name of security,"
Parkins said. "Yet the Administration remains adamant about the
appropriateness of its actions in spite of the findings of an
official Government audit. Our advocacy against such practices
must be pursued with equal resolve."

Parkins said that World Refugee Day is "an occasion for
extolling the benefit of refugees to our communities as well as
an opportunity to remind ourselves of what we lose if we do not
uphold our tradition of being a welcoming nation. That tradition
of hospitality can stand side by side with our desire and need
to be secure."

------

--James Solheim is director of Episcopal News Service.