From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3465 General Synod of the Episcopal Anglican Church of

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2003 00:04:57 +0100

      ACNS 3465     |	  BRAZIL     |	   9 JUNE 2003

General Synod of the Episcopal Anglican Church of Brazil

by Claudio Simoes de Oliveira
Department of Communications - The Episcopal Anglican Church of Brazil

English translation: The Revd Mario Ribas

The 29th General Synod of the Episcopal Anglican Church of Brazil met from
29 May - 1 June in the Bethany Village Retreat House, in Porto Alegre. The
meeting, which gathered 130 people - amongst those were the diocesan and
districts delegates, ecumenical observers, and partners in mission from
other provinces of the Anglican Communion - was a time for prayer,
reflection, sharing of experiences, and to decide the future of work and
ministry of the Brazilian Church and its new provincial leadership.

During the Synod, the missionary expansion was an aspect that became evident
to all participants. The Missionary districts of Amazon and West are
definitely settled, increasing each day and becoming more and more fruitful.
A new missionary diocese, the Diocese of Curitiba, was also created with the
purpose of attending to the specific needs of the Anglican communities
within the provincial state of Parana. The gratitude and appreciation of the
Most Revd Glauco de Lima's ministry, who resigned during this synod, was
another highlight of this meeting.

The former General Secretary and new bishop elected for Brasilia, the Revd
Canon Mauricio Andrade, said, "Surely, if we look to our journey during the
last years we can, without doubt, reaffirm that we are living a time of
hope, a time in which we feel the renewal of faith. We are living in a time
to celebrate mission."