From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Episcopalians in Liberia caught in violence, hoping for ceasefire

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:52:06 -0400

June 11, 2003

2003-130

Episcopalians: Episcopalians in Liberia caught in violence,
hoping for ceasefire

by Margaret Larom

(ENS) Bishop Edward Neufville II of the Episcopal Church in
Liberia reported June 11 in a conversation with the Office of
Anglican and Global Relations that he is safe in the capital
city of Monrovia--despite the chaos and danger that engulfed the
city during the last week.

Reached on his cell phone, he described the situation in
Liberia, where rebel forces reportedly control two-thirds of the
country, as "the most serious ever." But the news of a ceasefire
agreement signed by warring factions only hours earlier had
heartened everyone. "We hope the parties will live up to it, and
provide a safe corridor for people to go back and forth," he
said. "We are waiting for more details."

Asked about the safety and whereabouts of Episcopal clergy and
staff of the diocese, he said those based in Monrovia are safe,
though many are displaced. The Rev. Edward Gbe, a parish priest
who also provides ministry in the Port of Monrovia, managed to
escape through enemy lines with his family. "They took his
laptop, and his shoes, but he and his family are safe, thank
God, even though they are now displaced," said the bishop.

There is no word, however, from any clergy in the Cape Palmas
area, nor from Cape Mount, and nothing from schools and
hospitals beyond the city. Neufville was in contact some days
ago with the principal of the girls' school at Bromley, on the
banks of the St. Paul River, who reported that the eight or nine
staff and 30 day students were stuck there. After the battery
died on the principal's cell phone, communication stopped and
the bishop is concerned that they may be having problems with
food.

Food is scarce in capital

In Monrovia, "food is scarce and getting very expensive," the
bishop reported. Asked about water, he laughed. "Well, we have
hand pumps but actually it's raining cats and dogs." He said
this is very hard on the thousands of displaced persons trying
to find shelter at the stadium and other public buildings.
"Imagine, all those women and children in this rain."

Neufville had been in the U.S. recently to tend to family and
diocesan business. But on Tuesday, June 3, he flew back to
Africa, arriving in Liberia on Wednesday, June 4, the day that
an international court revealed its indictment of President
Charles Taylor on charges of war crimes. Word that an arrest
warrant had been issued, and that he abruptly left peace talks
with rebels (hosted in Ghana), quickly led to an upsurge in the
rebel push into Monrovia, and a corresponding spread of fear and
tension throughout the city and its suburbs.

"He flew right into it!" lamented Louise Neufville early Monday
morning from Marietta, Georgia, where she had gone to stay with
one of the Neufville daughters after accompanying her husband to
the airport Tuesday. On Wednesday he was picked up at the
airport and taken to his home, where he was forced to remain,
isolated and alone, for the next few days.

Concern for his safety, and for the well-being of others, was
uppermost in her mind as she reeled off cell phone numbers for
the bishop and half a dozen other clergy in the area. "This has
been the longest weekend of my life," declared another daughter
who lives in Sumter, South Carolina, imagining the danger her
father was facing, with no one able to get to him.

Meanwhile, on Monday, June 9, hearing news that Americans and
Europeans were being evacuated by helicopter, the bishop walked
to the U.S. Embassy area. There he encountered "thousands and
thousands of people--quite a frightening sight" and spoke to the
U.S. Marine supervising the gates. "I showed him my green card,
and he said, We are evacuating U.S. citizens and other
nationals. After that we'll do what we can for people who hold
green cards.'"

(Jere Skipper of the church's Washington office contacted the
embassy so that they were aware of the church's situation.)

Risky situation

On Tuesday, the bishop was able to check on his mother . "She is
okay and in a safe place." On June 11 he went to Roberts Field
airport with the Rev. Abioseh Flemister to see about possible
evacuation flights to Freetown, Sierra Leone. "Abby," as she is
affectionately known to friends in Columbus, Ohio, where her
husband resides and where she lives part time, returned to
Liberia on May 28. Although she had retired last year, she felt
unable to stay away from helping her beleaguered church, and
returned to full-time service with the diocese earlier this
year.

For the moment, the bishop said he intends "to stay put and
watch things. You know, I'm due back in the States in July" [for
General Convention, where the bishop and deputies have seat and
voice as part of the covenant agreement dating from 1982].
"Meanwhile, depending on the outcome of the cease-fire
agreement, I can do office work and other business." He said
that the diocesan employees have been stuck "where they are" but
he hoped some could return to the office soon. "No banks are
open, all businesses are closed, the Lebanese and Indians [who
are the merchants] are all being evacuated to Freetown and
Ghana," he said. "It's risky to open."

Asked what people in the U.S. could do, he said, "Please
continue to pray for us. And, use your kind offices to influence
Washington to get an intervention force here. We need them to
stand between rebel forces and government security forces, to
protect the civilians so we can move about freely and businesses
can resume."

He expressed deep appreciation for the relief that has been
approved by Episcopal Relief and Development. "It's difficult to
get around, and no banks are open," he said, but as soon as
action was possible, he would take it.

Setback for Cuttington College

As for Cuttington College, the new fighting in Monrovia was a
definite setback. The Episcopal Church institution was forced to
evacuate from its upcountry location in May, for the second time
in a year, due to incursions by rebels into the Gbarnga area.
Although students, staff, and equipment all were brought safely
to Monrovia, the administration faced a major challenge in
locating the classroom space necessary for more than 500
students to finish the academic year. Especially important is
the senior class, anxious to take exams and graduate (the
commencement had been scheduled for July 27, but whether that is
still possible is unknown at this time).

Dr. Henrique Tokpa, who succeeded Dr. Melvin Mason as president
of the college in August 2002, also has been in the U.S.
recently, to attend the annual Cuttington Alumni/ae Reunion in
Silver Spring, Maryland, and to work on a grant request to
restore the college's water system, among other business. He
said he has been in touch with his senior staff at least twice a
day, by cell phone. They have been at work in the college's
office (on an upper floor of a bank building in downtown
Monrovia), and Tuesday afternoon were able to get out to buy
some provisions.

"The cease fire was being respected because ECOWAS' officials
and the International Monitoring Group officials were in
Monrovia negotiating with President Taylor in an effort to end
the war," Dr. Saim Naame, Cuttington's vice president for
academic affairs, reported to Tokpa. "Although the city is
tense, people are moving about and there is high hope that the
meeting will yield fruitful results."

------

--Margaret Larom is mission interpretation and networks officer
for Anglican and Global Relations at the Episcopal Church Center
in New York.