From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3471 Statement from the executive committees of Affirming

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:26:33 +0100

ACNS 3471     |     ENGLAND	|     11 JUNE 2003

Statement from the executive committees of Affirming Catholicism and the
Society of Catholic Priests

[ACNS source: Affirming Catholicism] Dr Jeffrey John is a fine priest,
pastor and teacher, who is wholly committed to the ministry and mission of
the Church. Father John has been associated with Affirming Catholicism since
1990, as a founder member and trustee. He has also been a member of the
Society of Catholic Priests since it was formed in 1994. The leadership and
membership of both groups know him to be a person of great integrity. He
leads a disciplined life of prayer, rooted in Scripture and the sacraments.
He is an encouragement to many in their discipleship and ministry.

Recent press reports entirely neglect the fact that his significant
publications are primarily concerned with a totally orthodox exposition of
the New Testament and the growth and mission of the Church.

Father John has transformed clergy and lay training in the Diocese of
Southwark and has won the respect and affection of people from every
tradition. Before that he ran a large and growing parish in south London,
drawing in people of all ages, and particularly young families. His most
recent publication is a booklet encouraging church growth in parishes of the
catholic tradition entitled 'Going for Growth'. This has received a warm
reception from clergy and laity of all parts of the Church and has had a
wide distribution. The publication, This Is Our Faith, edited by Father John
and sponsored by Affirming Catholicism, is a popular introduction to the
Christian faith in the Anglican tradition. According to the Anglican
Communion Office, it is likely to be the most widely used resource of its
kind around the Communion.

The statement of the House of Bishops, 'Issues in Human Sexuality', was
intended to be a marker of the point which certain debates had reached at
the time of its publication. It was not presented as a definitive doctrinal
statement binding on the Church, but as a framework for discussion and
discernment in an on-going debate. There is no fault or contradiction in Dr
John's desire to be loyal to the framework agreed by his future colleagues
in the House of Bishops, while being ready to play his part in discerning a
godly way forward for the Church.

In our view, as long-standing colleagues who know his worth, Jeffrey John
has all the apostolic gifts which we hope for in our bishops. We support him
unreservedly.

Mother Jane Bass
Rector of The Society of Catholic Priests

Father Stephen Conway
Chairman of the Executive of Affirming Catholicism

www.affirmingcatholicism.org.uk
www.soccathpriest.org