From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Peters to Serve as Interim President at Lutheran Seminary

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:22:33 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

June 12, 2003

PETERS TO SERVE AS INTERIM PRESIDENT AT LUTHERAN SEMINARY
03-122-JAC*

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Rev. Ted F. Peters was appointed interim
president of Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary (PLTS) June 7.
Peters, appointed by the executive committee of the PLTS board of
directors, will serve a term of at least one year.  He fills the office
left vacant after the unexpected death of the Rev. Timothy F. Lull, who
died May 20.
     Peters is an ordained pastor of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA).  Peters was educated at Michigan State University, East
Lansing, Mich., Trinity Lutheran Seminary, Columbus, Ohio, and the
University of Chicago.	Trinity and PLTS are two of eight ELCA
seminaries.
     Before joining PLTS in 1978, Peters served congregations in
Illinois and New York and was a faculty member at Loyola University,
Chicago, and Newberry College, an ELCA higher education institution in
Newberry S.C.  He teaches systematic theology at both PLTS and at
Graduate Theological Union, where he is a member of the core doctoral
faculty.
     "We are delighted that such a wise, dedicated and experienced
long-time member of the PLTS faculty is willing to serve the seminary,
the ELCA and the mission of the church as our interim president," said
the Rev. Steven L. McKinley, chair of the board of directors.  "With Ted
Peters in charge, PLTS is in good hands."
     Peters has been involved in several literary publications as
editor of "Dialog, A Journal of Theology," co-editor of "Theology and
Science," author of  "GOD--The World's Future," "God as Trinity,"
"Science, Theology, and Ethics" and other books.
     "I am honored that both the faculty and the board have given me
this mandate to serve as interim president," said Peters.  "This is
genuinely an interim of grieving the loss of Tim Lull and anticipating
the next phase of the seminary's growth.  We look forward to a fall
semester with a strong academic program and creative activities in
support of the larger church's mission."
-- -- --
* Jessica A. Crane is completing her bachelor of arts degree at
Concordia College, Moorhead, Minn.  This summer she is an intern with
ELCA News and Media production.

Information for this article was provided by Pacific Lutheran
Theological Seminary.

For information contact: