From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Taiwan Church Moves Outside and Grows

From Taiwan Church News <pctpress@ms1.hinet.net>
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:17:16 +0800

Taiwan Church News 2676, June 15, 2003
Reported by Li Hsin-ren. Translated and rewritten by David
Alexander

   The recent SARS contagion in Taiwan has brought about the
suspension of activities at some churches, and a move "al fresco"
worship activities at others. But for one congregation of the
Presbyterian Church in Taiwan, outdoor worship has been the norm
for nearly two years.
   Sio-Pak-Lo Presbyterian Church in Tainan City has been
worshipping in a park near its building ever since it outgrew its
underground worship hall.  The Rev. Ms. Li So-chin (Lee Su-jin)
explained that the facility's ground floor contained office and
classroom space and was too small to use for worship.
   Moving outside has had some interesting results.  The form of
the service has changed, and many members are happy with it.  In
the park, passersby gather on the fringes to "listen in", and
some have joined the church members in the "formal" seating
area.  In the two years of outdoor worship, attendance has
increased from 30 to 60.
   At one time some neighbors called the police.  They complained
that the public address system was too loud, and it was
disturbing them.  Police arrived, investigated, and after some
explanations all was settled peacefully without any charges being
filed.
   So, how do they deal with rain?  Ms. Li says, "I am thankful
to God. In the time we have been worshiping outdoors, we have
almost never been rained upon. On the rare occasions when the
weather has not been cooperative, we've moved indoors."
   Ms. Li and her husband, the Rev. Mr. Tzeng Zhi-sheng,
previously planted a new church in the Tainan County town of
White River. While there they moved the Sunday School outside,
and many neighborhood children who wouldn't enter the church
facilities became "hearers of the Gospel."  This and other "open
air" activities  flowed naturally into what is happening now at
Sio-Pak-Lo.
   Church facilities are expensive to purchase or build in
Taiwan's cities.  The congregation still owes 2.3 million Taiwan
Yuan (57,500 Euros or US$66,666) on the mortgage for the
facilities they have outgrown.	The park is an economical
alternative worship space for the time being.

For more information: Sio-pak-lo Presbyterian Church  FAX +886 6
251 5591

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local
languages.
Visit our web site: www.pctpress.com.tw