From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Doing something constructive

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 13 Jun 2003 09:32:54 -0400

Note #7814 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Doing something constructive
03262
June 13, 2003

Doing something constructive

Dedication of building is testament to dedication of Jim Costen

by the Rev. Stuart G. Leyden

HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SC -- Before his death in April, the Rev. James H. Costen
raised more than $2 million for Presbyterian University in Kikuyu, Kenya, an
institution of the fast-growing Presbyterian Church of East Africa (PCEA).

In March, a dozen Americans went on a "safari" to Kikuyu for the dedication
of a new faculty residence built mostly with money Costen cajoled from
mission-minded American Presbyterian congregations.

One of the items to be dedicated was a bronze bust of the university's
principal benefactor, but Costen couldn't be there in the flesh because of
his illness. He was represented by his wife of 50 years and partner in
mission, Melva, and their son, Chip.

I was along because Costen had converted me to Kenyan mission a year ago when
he visited the congregation my wife and I attend, First Presbyterian Church
in Hilton Head, SC. Another member of our group was the Rev. John Wells,
pastor of First Presbyterian in Marietta, GA, whose congregation includes
about 150 Kenyans.

Wells became the trip leader when Costen was hospitalized. Since Costen's
death, he also has stepped into the breach as the principal fund-raiser for
Presbyterian University.

Costen, 71, a former dean of Johnson C. Smith Seminary in Atlanta, was
president of the Interdenominational Theological Center (ITC), an ecumenical
consortium of Atlanta-area seminaries, from 1983 until he retired in 1998.

After Costen and his wife first visited Kenya in 1974 - and fell in love with
the vital, faith-filled Presbyterians there - they began inviting Kenyan
students to Johnson C. Smith, to mixed reviews.

When the Rev. John Gatu, the PCEA moderator, came to Johnson C. Smith to
accept an honorary doctorate, he demanded of Costen: "When are you going to
stop stealing my students?"

The problem was that many Kenyan students were staying in the United States
after finishing their studies, rather than returning to their homeland to
serve the PCEA. The opportunity and freedom they experienced here proved an
irresistible lure. Some were even attaching themselves to wealthy white
congregations instead of less prosperous African-American ones.

That prompted Costen to devise a new strategy, with four elements: offering
more educational opportunities in Kenya; creating reciprocal exchanges
between Johnson C. Smith and Presbyterian University; being more careful in
screening Kenyans chosen for study in the United States; and soliciting more
support and involvement from African-American donors and congregations.

Melva Costen, a professor of music and worship at ITC who chaired the
committee that developed The Presbyterian Hymnal, remains a staunch patron of
the Kenyan church, which has more than three million members. She is donating
her extensive library to Presbyterian University when she retires in 2005.
She also intends to teach there for at least one year.

For me, the most memorable experience of our "safari" was a worship service
at Kariobangi South Church in Nairobi, where the Rev. Patricia Marion, the
associate pastor of First Presbyterian Church, of Greenwich, CT, was the
guest preacher. More than 1,000 people were in attendance.

On that day there was a special collection for the Christian education
program. When it was time for the offering, two elders took their places on
either side of a chair on which was placed the receiving sack. From time to
time, a church officer zipped in, grabbed the bag, took it behind the
sanctuary to empty it and returned the bag to the chair. At the invitation of
the session clerk, members came forward row-by-row with their donations.

As each contribution went into the bag, the clerk announced the amount in a
clear, loud voice: "Mr. Kamau, 100 shillings. Thank you."

No silent slipping of cash into unmarked envelopes.

When I commented on this practice, the clerk observed dryly, "There is a
competitive flavor to this kind of stewardship."

It's a flavor Jim Costen would have relished.

*** For instructions on using this system (including how to UNJOIN this
meeting), send e-mail to mailrequests@ecunet.org