From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Presiding Bishop writes to bishops before General Convention

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2003 15:34:08 -0400

June 13, 2003

2003-140

Episcopalians: Presiding Bishop writes to bishops before General
Convention

June 12, 2003
For all bishops
Dear brothers and sisters:

General Convention is almost here and its theme, Engage God's
Mission, draws upon energies and commitment evident around our
church.  We will be building on work in which we as a House of
Bishops have been engaged for some time, particularly since our
fall meeting in 2001 in Burlington, Vermont immediately
following the events of September 11. Over these last three
years, we have explored mission as our participation in God's
work of reconciling all things to himself in Christ.  I have
every expectation that our forthcoming Convention will take us
deeper into that work as we draw upon the grace of Christ and
the wisdom of the Spirit.  Everything that happens in the life
of the church is an invitation to reveal more fully the
reconciling power of the gospel: this is something I have been
made freshly aware of by my recent visit to my brothers and
sisters in the Church of Uganda.

The election of the Rev. Canon V. Gene Robinson by the laity and
clergy of the Diocese of New Hampshire to serve as their Bishop
Coadjutor has received wide comment in the press and other
media. Great joy and deep distress are emotions being felt by
many within our church. Some view the election as prophetic and
an action of the Holy Spirit, while others view it as
disregarding Scripture, Tradition and the larger view of the
Anglican Communion, which they see as expressed in a resolution
on sexuality of the 1998 Lambeth Conference.  This variety of
opinion should not surprise us. As the report of the Theology
Committee so clearly stated, "The depth and complexity of human
sexuality are reflected in the multiple understandings and
interpretations held by thoughtful people."  We have seen these
various interpretations articulated over these last days in
response to the New Hampshire election, and discussion will
doubtless continue.

In the face of strongly-held divergent opinions on what
constitutes God's desire, my concern is how we move with grace
through this time. As Presiding Bishop and chief pastor of the
church, it is my duty to ensure that all perspectives are
treated with reverence, care and mutual respect in the service
of a unity, not of our own creation, but rather given to us
through our baptism into Christ.  This means that though we may
disagree, no one can say, "I have no need of you" to another
member of the church.  I hope that in the weeks ahead we will be
mindful of this, and of the following points as well.

First, we need to respect the action of the Diocese of New
Hampshire. After a search, nomination and election process they
have made their choice of a priest who has served in their
Diocese for 28 years.  Gene Robinson was elected by the Diocese
of New Hampshire because he is a highly respected person.  He is
a fellow member of the body of Christ, not the symbol of an
issue.

The election of a bishop also involves approval by the whole
church, inasmuch as a bishop is a bishop for the whole church.
According to the Constitution of our church, when the election
of a bishop occurs fewer than 120 days before a General
Convention, the church's consent must be secured at the
Convention by the House of Deputies and by the diocesan bishops
with jurisdiction.  By canon and by tradition, the House of
Deputies first gives its consent and then the consents of
bishops with jurisdiction are sought. At our forthcoming General
Convention, the election of ten bishops will be put forward for
consent.  All of these are equally important.

And here I need to add that it is unfortunate, but predictable,
that the media and some others will doubtless be focused upon
consent in the case of the New Hampshire election.  I hope that
a distinction can be made between the consent to the
consecration of a bishop who is a priest in good standing
partnered with a member of the same sex, and the continuing
debate regarding formal actions by the church in the area of
human sexuality.  We as bishops, together with our diocesan
deputations, need to keep our eyes fixed on the larger purposes
for which we gather as a church, namely the enduring mission of
God in Christ who has reconciled all things to himself through
the cross.

Last of all, let me share with you a prayer I recite frequently.
 You may find it useful as well, particularly during the days of
our General Convention.  It comes from a man who knew the
burdens of episcope intimately--Philaret, Patriarch of Moscow.
It runs as follows:

Lord, grant me to greet the coming day in peace.
Help me in
all things to rely on your holy will.
In every hour of the
day reveal your will to me.
Teach me to treat all that comes
to me throughout the day with peace of soul,
and with firm
conviction that your will governs everything.
In all my deeds
and words guide my thoughts and feelings.
In unforeseen
events let me not forget that all are sent by you.
Teach me
to act firmly and wisely, without embittering and embarrassing
others.
Give me the strength to bear the fatigue of the
coming day with all that it shall bring.
Direct my will.
Teach me to pray. Pray yourself in me.

As always, in the love of Christ, your brother,

------

Frank T. Griswold
Presiding Bishop and Primate