From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: General Convention will deal with children and youth issues

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2003 16:34:14 -0400

June 13, 2003

2003-133

Episcopalians: General Convention will deal with children and
youth issues

by Richelle Thompson

(ENS) Viewing children as the church's greatest resource, the
Standing Commission on National Concerns focused on ways that
the Episcopal Church could be a powerful and faithful advocate
for children.

The group, which met five times during the triennium, decided
that health care for children should be at the top of the
agenda. The rising cost of health insurance plagues families and
individuals throughout the country, but its impact is acutely
felt among children. The commission cites statistics that show
nearly 11 million children lack basic health care insurance even
though most live in families where at least one parent works.

"Children are our most important valuable that we have in this
country," said Deborah J. Stokes, chair of the commission. "If
we don't take the responsibility for nurturing and protecting
our children, then no one else will. We need to be more
intentional about the needs and rights of our children."

The commission proposes the Episcopal Church take several steps
toward addressing the problem, including encouraging dioceses
and congregations to establish programs that help parents apply
for government aid. The commission also calls upon the Office of
Government Relations of the Episcopal Church in Washington, DC,
to work with federal government leaders to provide adequate
funding and access to health care and mental health services.
Further, Resolution A122 proposes that the church push for
changes to end-of-life care for children, giving them more
access to hospice care and support services as well as pain
relief.

Commitment to youth

Health care also figures prominently in another proposal, one to
reestablish a Standing Commission on Health and to add a staff
person to assist the newly formed commission. This group would
be charged with lobbying on behalf of the Episcopal Church and
its views on health care policy, advocating for decent and
appropriate health care for all people and collecting and
sharing resources about new developments and materials related
to access to health care. This work builds upon a resolution
from the 2000 General Convention that asked the church to put
political pressure on lawmakers to develop a better health care
system.

In addition to health care, ministry to "at-risk" youth emerged
as a priority. Building on the work of the 73rd General
Convention, the commission asks that the church reaffirm its
commitment to "support the development of caring, competent and
loving young people." Developing anger-management courses,
teaching the power of forgiveness and forging partnerships with
community-based agencies, are all proposed tools in ministering
to at-risk youth.

The destructive nature of dependency on drugs and/or alcohol
prompted the commission to call on all dioceses to establish a
committee that would provide educational programs for clergy,
church staff and congregations. The measure also asks dioceses
to work toward better and more up-to-date treatment policies and
ensure that health care insurance includes coverage for mental
health and addiction problems.

Criminal justice concerns

Just as Jesus sent his disciples to visit those in prison, the
Standing Commission on National Concerns calls upon dioceses and
congregations to commit to prison ministry and advocate for
occupational and educational programs that can help prisoners
prepare for re-entry into society. Other criminal justice
concerns include developing alternative facilities for juvenile
offenders and the revision of mandatory drug sentencing.

Also proposed is more advocacy for laws that would establish a
"living wage." The commission also recommended an addition to
the Book of Common Prayer. (A130) "A Worker's Prayer" (A131)
beseeches God to "help us to seek rewards for our work in the
wages we receive, but also in stewardship of Your creation and
justice toward all persons. Help us to recognize that we cannot
do our work alone, but depend upon the work of many others, some
of whom we do not even know . Help us to say Well done' to
others, as we hope to hear the same. Finally, when we cannot see
the direction to go, give us faith that you can always work for
good through us."

------

Standing Commission on National Concerns:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/gc/ccab/scnc/default.html

Episcopal Parish Services;

http://www.episcopalparishservices.org

Episcopal Public Policy Action Network:

http://episcopal.grassroots.com/

Stand Up For Youth:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/episcopal-life/SUYlead.html

Episcopal Recovery Ministry:
www.episcopalrecovery.org

Kairos Prison Ministry:
http://www.kairosprisonministry.org

Episcopal Network for Economic
Justice:
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/peace-justice/enej/Living_Wage.htm

--Richelle Thompson is director of communications for the
Diocese of Southern Ohio and a member of the ENS News team for
the 74th General Convention in Minneapolis.