From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Budget seeks to reconcile abundance of faith with scarcity of fun

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2003 16:35:19 -0400

June 13, 2003

2003-135

Episcopalians: Budget seeks to reconcile abundance of faith with
scarcity of fun

by E. T. Malone Jr.

(ENS) Reconciliation will be not just a spiritual goal, but a
financial one as well for this summer's General Convention in
Minneapolis. Mission goals must be reconciled with financial
realities. Deputies and bishops face the problem of how "to live
abundantly in a time of scarcity."

General Convention will be asked to approve a proposed budget
for 2004-2006 that attempts to fulfill compelling mission
priorities while keeping a sharp and conservative eye on
expected revenues. The proposal calls for only slightly
increased spending of $146,395,000 for the triennium, compared
with the $138,353,000 budget adopted for  the 2001-2003
triennium.

"This proposed budget draft has built-in conservative
projections of income, yet continues to strategize for mission
and ministry based on priorities," said Dean George Werner,
president of the House of Deputies, in a written introduction to
the budget document. Projected revenue figures anticipate a
continued fall in investment income but predict increased giving
from dioceses.

Amid threats of war and terrorism, and in a stalled economy,
resources are shrinking rapidly, he said. "Yet dread and enmity
are not Gospel values," Werner noted. "It is precisely in times
such as these that we must set an example of our faith in God's
abundance and in our commitment to use that abundance for the
good of all God's children," he declared.

Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold, in a message to convention,
spoke of the theme, "Engage in God's Mission." This mission "is
not an abstraction," he declared. "And, it is very clear in
these days that there is an urgent need to participate in God's
reconciling work in the world."

How do we get more money?

Alabama bishop Henry Parsley, co-chair of General Convention's
Standing Commission on Stewardship and Development (SCSD), said
that his group has for the past three years been focusing on the
idea that Christians being created in the image of God will
"draw us away from a life of sinful self-centeredness."

He noted, "The nature of our group is to really look at the
income side, not on spending." In its report to convention, the
commission focused on the theology of stewardship, especially in
holding up the biblical standard of the tithe and in its
expression in "first-fruits" tithing. This is, explained
Parsley, "giving off the top" to the church, in gratitude to
God, from one's income before using it for anything else. The
report also speaks of "legacy stewardship," in which "Gifts at
the end of our lives express our gratitude for the whole of our
lives."

Yet the reported pointed out, "We recognize a deep chasm between
our stated norms and our corporate and individual giving."
Statistics from the year 2000, the most recent available, show
that the average pledge in the Episcopal Church throughout all
100 domestic dioceses is $1,564. Surveys have shown that,
between 1969 and 1998, giving in American churches has not kept
pace with increases in income. Within the Episcopal Church, 37
of 100 dioceses still give less than the full asking to support
the mission and ministry of the whole church.

SCSD is conducting a survey of seminaries to determine what they
are teaching about stewardship and has held several of its
meetings on seminary campuses, holding discussions with
students.

Annual report on ministries?

Parsley emphasized several "nuggets" that he hopes will not be
lost in the details of the SCSD report. The national mission
narrative/annual report proposed in Resolution A136 "could have
real power," he said. It calls on the Episcopal Church Center
staff to create and publish every year a comprehensive and
visually interesting report of the wide variety of important
ministries being carried out throughout the Episcopal Church and
in the broader Anglican community of which it is a part.

"We hope that it would give those dioceses who do not fully
support the national budget a better sense of what the money is
going for. We need to be accountable to each other and that
needs to be communicated," he added. The Journal of General
Convention, published only once every three years and in a
text-only format, has not been an adequate vehicle to publicize
the good news of what the church is doing, he said. This new
annual report "could communicate better what we're actually
doing in the church."

Additionally, he pointed out Resolution A135, "Holy Habits,"
which encourages personal spiritual disciplines, including
respect for Sabbath time, "which is so important," he said.
Setting aside Sabbath time, for renewal and refreshment, should
be a priority for laity just as much as for clergy, he noted.

Finally, he suggested that Resolution A140, which calls for
immediate creation of a Mission Funding Office for the Episcopal
Church, is extremely important. The Episcopal Church Center in
New York, he revealed, does not have a development officer on
its staff, a fact unknown to most people in the Church. "It's
simply terrible that we have no development function at the
national level," Parsley concluded. "We know that this effort
requires professional expertise."

Other resolutions proposed by SCSD call for implementation of
the Alleluia Fund, accountability of mission partners, 50/50
outreach for congregations, and affirmation of the work of TENS,
the Episcopal stewardship network.

------

--The Rev. Ted Malone is director of communications in the
Diocese of North Carolina and a member of the ENS news team at
the 74th General Convention in Minneapolis.