From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Mission and Evangelism proposes road map for 21st century church

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2003 17:57:40 -0400

June 13, 2003

2003-143

Episcopalians: Mission and Evangelism proposes road map for 21st
century church

by Sarah T. Moore

(ENS) The largest number of resolutions from a standing
commission directly related to the theme of the General
Convention, "Engage God's Mission," come from the work of the
Standing Commission on Domestic Mission and Evangelism (SCDME).
Each of those resolutions challenges the church to awake from
its dormant status quo and move boldly into a swirling world.

"We need to be standing at the intersection of our communities,
not hiding out in the corner," says Sarah Lawton, vice chair of
the commission and chair of its 20/20 Strategy Group responsible
for hammering out the resolutions coming before convention.

"It's an exciting time in the life of the church," echoes the
Rev. J. Anthony Guillen, rector of All Saints in Oxnard,
California, also a member of the Strategy Group. "The 20/20
vision is an exciting vision about proclaiming the gospel and
bringing the unchurched into this wonderful church we have kept
a secret so long. And, yes, we've kept it a secret. And that's
no longer a way to operate."

The commission is proposing new operating instructions by
placing 26 resolutions before General Convention. They see it as
a place to start.

Capturing the spirit

"General Convention is not the be-all and end-all," cautions
Lawton. "I hope the spirit of this will be captured and laid out
by bishops, and lay leaders will be caught by these."

Guillen adds, "In a very exciting way, I attribute it to a real
movement of the Holy Spirit. We had to be shaken a little, and
finally made aware--or allowed ourselves to be aware--of the
presence of an emerging church that looks and feels and sounds
very different from the church I came into 25 years ago."

The 26 resolutions summon the church to examine its life,
ministry, and leadership training, and make dramatic shifts to
relate to a multicultural, multilingual country, waning church
membership, lost youth and young adult members, new
international geographies, new economic realities, swerving
domestic demographics, and the immediate need for a fresh
generation of leaders.

"How do you turn a big ship in 20th century waters that's headed
in new directions in a very new world? "asks Lawton. "How do you
create a church in the 21st century? How do we raise up leaders
for that time? Perhaps the greatest gift we can give to the
church is leaders at the local level."

Lawton said that she is convinced that "leadership is at the
center of it." A mother of two young children, who works in an
interdenominational nonprofit agency helping Salvadoran refugees
in San Francisco, she says that "part of what the commission
realized in undertaking this task is that it is our job to
propose legislation on the national level, but the success has
to catch fire at the local level."

It's local, it's technology, it's culture

As a result, resolutions speak to the local congregation,
dealing day in and day out with cultural and technological
explosions in its midst. The commission has put forward
resolutions which provide practical steps the church must take
to keep pace with spiraling changes, a younger populace, and at
the same time speaking with a relevant Christian voice.

"For instance, when we think of multicultural we often think of
multiethnic," says Guillen, who notes he was appointed on the
church's Executive Council "as part of the emerging church, the
new multicultural church we joyously represent. But youth is
sort of a culture. It's an area we have failed in. We abandoned
the youth years ago, campus ministries and such went by the
wayside. In some ways, the way chaplains and youth ministers did
ministry years ago is not the way we do it today. We have to
train people, provide funding so we can attract some of these
youth ministers from this different culture that is out there.
They speak a different language, have different leadership,
music, vocational discernment. I find it extremely exciting."

Nine resolution areas

The 26 resolutions fall into nine clearly defined areas,
sounding a wake-up call to Episcopalians: leadership;
spirituality, prayer and worship; research; new congregational
development; vital congregations; the next generation;
communication; funding; and reporting.

The resolutions call for funding training for a youth minister
in each congregation and a ministry on college campuses;
expanding leadership training for those under 35 to include
internships, mentoring, service projects, multi-cultural
experiences, and contemporary second language training; moving
toward debt free education for clergy vocations; moving
Commissions on Ministry to recruit, not just be gatekeepers; and
seeking entrepreneurs and risk-takers among the brightest and
best for ordained ministry. The proposed resolutions challenge
the church to create contemporary liturgies, music and prayers
that fit today's culture and push for resources to help dioceses
plant new churches.

20/20, a 'clear vision'

These resolutions emerge after five years of work by the
Standing Commission on Domestic Mission and Evangelism and two
groups it created: the 20/20 Task Force and a 20/20 Strategy
Group. The Rev. John A. M. Guernsey of Virginia is commission
chair.

The creation of the task force followed a mandate by the 73rd
General Convention in 2000 to address these areas of the
church's future: to shift from "maintenance" to "mission," from
status quo to venture. By responding to such changes, the church
intends to double active participation in the church by 2020,
not just for numbers sake, but to fulfill the promise each
Episcopalian agreed upon at baptism--to be disciples who make
disciples of Jesus Christ.

Bishop Gethin Hughes of San Diego led the task force that,
within a year, presented its report to the Episcopal Church's
Executive Council. That report recommended the creation of a
small working group, the 20/20 Strategy Group, to provide the
unfolding vision with specific future guidelines.

The Strategy Group was diverse and paired new voices with
seasoned leaders. They reported they "sought not to offer so
many right answers but to offer support to mission that is
defined and generated from the context of local conditions."

A first step in January 2002, was to follow the lead of the
Diocese of Texas which has provided  Clear Vision conferences
for its members and diocesan leaders across the country for the
past several years as a way of "transforming the church." The
strategy group, chaired by Lawton with co-chair the Rev. James
Cooper of Florida, invited a diverse group of 65 mainly young
leaders to Camp Allen, Texas. These voices became a program team
to examine the nine areas from which the 26 resolutions emerged.

While refining proposals from that Camp Allen meeting, the 12
leaders of the Strategy Group hoped to inspire some dioceses to
address change immediately. Concurrently, they formed
resolutions that point to institutional paradigm shifts,
funding, and action.

Nearly a dozen outstanding congregations exhibiting risk-taking,
growth and leadership will be showcased at General Convention as
part of "Engage God's Mission" message.

The 26 resolutions

The Standing Commission on Domestic Mission and Evangelism, with
the support of the 20/20 Strategy Group, proposes 26 resolutions
to be considered by General Convention in these areas:

Leadership: Nine resolutions are presented, aimed at seminaries
and diocesan schools for ministry to examine curricula and
design new resources specifically looking at issues such as
diversity, conflict, anti-racism, change management,
intercultural leadership, intercultural field education and
required competency in a contemporary language other than
English. One recommends allocating continuing education monies
to clergy and congregational leaders to study change and
renewal. A resolution asks that the church seek new ways to
recruit leaders and help those discern vocational calling;
another seeks commissions on ministry to intentionally create
vocational discernment committees to serve ethnic groups present
in their midst but not represented in leadership. Resolutions
address paying for seminary education, developing "exciting"
internships and leadership development for 18-35 year olds,
allocating monies to fund campus ministries, and partnering with
the Fund for Theological Education (FTE) leadership search
project.

Spirituality, Prayer and Worship: Four resolutions address
concerns for providing worship relevant to the times, languages,
and cultures. These include a resolution to provide resources on
websites for seekers outside the Episcopal Church on topics
related to the faith; development of Spanish music resources,
creation of fresh liturgies and music reflecting multi-sensory,
multicultural and multilingual music; and to post on the website
mission-based prayers and liturgical resources to support the
20/20 vision.

Research: Current, accurate and thorough research data is needed
to help congregations, dioceses and church-wide agencies expand
and diversify their mission. Changes need to be made in
parochial reporting systems and clear reporting of average
Sunday attendance statistics. One resolution asks that church
canon be amended so that both clergy and lay leadership share in
the compiling the parochial report and require approval by a
congregation's leadership body before filing. This intends to
engage more of the congregation's leaders to review membership
data and address its meaning for mission and membership.

New Congregation Development: The Episcopal Church has not been
a leader in planting new congregations that, data suggests,
represents the greatest source of growth for denominations. One
resolution addresses radical change in the Episcopal Church's
approach to new church development if the church is serious
about doubling church attendance by 2020. This includes
identifying church-builder leaders with appropriate skills and
personalities, network exchange of success stories, training and
mentoring for laity and clergy, and establishing a
project-specific research/resource bank to support new church
plants on the local level.

Vital Congregations: Three resolutions suggest each congregation
conduct an annual review of its common life, that each diocese
takes on a mission perspective, and that the Episcopal Church
Center staff continue to provide resources to the whole church
for transformation.

Next Generation: Three resolutions touch on the aging of the
church and the demographic shift to a younger world. It is one
area where the commission challenges the church to a large
financial commitment: $4 million to fund training leadership for
youth initiatives. Underlying is the concern that the church
must continue and expand to be a voice for transforming the
world into a just, peaceful place reflecting God's hope for
humanity. To do so means leadership, mentoring, and commitment
to and by younger generations. These resolutions include
training of leaders for children, youth, young adults, and on
college campuses, including asking convention to authorize $4
million over the next three years for such initiatives with
provincial and diocesan matching funds. A resolution specifies
the use of technology to reach the younger generations, as an
essential relational tool for future generations. A third
recommends that deputies from this age group, particularly
reflecting multicultural and multilingual cultures in our midst,
be elected as deputies to the church's decision-making assembly
of future General Convention.

Communications: Four resolutions concern church-wide
communications, including the role of technology to increase
church membership. The church must continue to develop and
maintain dynamic, interactive, user-friendly websites. A
proposed resolution directs development of a national
advertising campaign, including radio and television, urging
congregations to train its members in welcoming newcomers and
incorporating them in their midst. Church-wide publications
should be multilingual and a strategy to move in that direction
be undertaken the next triennium; and that, beginning Epiphany
2004, dioceses should provide opportunities for members in their
churches and regions to tell stories of faith to inspire others
and reinforce Christian life.

Funding: The Domestic Mission and Evangelism Commission supports
two resolutions from the Commission on Stewardship and
Development recommending the establishment of an Office of
Mission Funding and Development and urging a fund (such as the
Alleluia Fund) be put in place in each diocese to be used as a
source to fund 20/20 initiatives.

Reporting: The commission directs one resolution at itself: that
it be required to report back to the Executive Council and the
Episcopal Church at large how the church is faring and living
into new ventures outlined in the 20/20: A Clear Vision.

------

--Sarah Moore is director of communications in the Diocese of
Hawaii. She is a member of the ENS news team covering the 74th
General Convention in Minneapolis.