From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3473 New Chair of Anglican Studies at the Lutheran

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Sat, 14 Jun 2003 09:30:45 +0100

ACNS 3473     |     USA     |	  14 JUNE 2003

New Chair of Anglican Studies at the Lutheran Theological Seminary

The gift to the Episcopal Diocese of Pennsylvania from the late Anna Werner,
who lived modestly in Philadelphia's Rhawnhurst section before her death a
year ago at age 92, has led to the appointment of the Rt. Rev. Frederick
Houk Borsch, retired bishop of Los Angeles, as first holder of a Chair of
Anglican Studies at The Lutheran Theological Seminary at Philadelphia.
Werner, a shy woman who was thought to be far from wealthy, attended church
for 20 years at All Saints' Episcopal Church in Rhawnhurst. A published poet
and strict grammarian, Werner was also known to be concerned broadly about
the future of education in general and theological education in particular.
She amassed the legacy after her husband died in 1980 by saving social
security and pension payments and much of her retirement income.

Werner probably would have appreciated the new appointee. "I love to teach
and prepare people who are candidates for ministry in a theological
setting," says Borsch, who has most recently served as interim dean of the
Berkeley Divinity University Divinity Evangelical Lutheran Church in
Commenting on the legacy, the Rt. Rev. Charles Bennison, bishop of the
Episcopal Diocese of Pennsylvania, said: "It's obvious to me that Anna
Werner came to love the Lord through the love of that parish (All Saints').
Part of the Christian life is to be generous, and All Saints', Rhawnhurst,
was the seedbed where she learned that tradition. It's an amazing legacy.
The Chair will go on in perpetuity."

In a letter sent to clergy in the Episcopal Diocese of Pennsylvania, Bishop
Bennison noted that the new Chair "will make the seminary even more of a
resource for educating our leaders than it has been in the past." He said
the appointment of Borsch and the establishment of the Chair are integral to
diocesan efforts "to strengthen our congregations."

He recalled that at the Lambeth Conference in 1998: "Bishop Borsch was
regarded as the leading theologian of the Episcopal Church in the USA.
Indeed, at that conference, where the 736 bishops were assigned to meet and
work in different sections, Bishop Borsch chaired the section on theology.
He served the House of Bishops in a similar capacity as chair of its
Theology Committee (1988-2000)."

A member of the American School of the Pacific, where he served as dean and
president from 1972 to 1981. Prior to serving as bishop of Los Angeles from
1988 to 2002, he was dean of the chapel and religious life and professor of
religion at Princeton University.

Bishop Christopher Epting, ecumenical officer of the Episcopal Church, said:
"As we live into our full communion relationship with the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America, this is precisely the kind of partnership we
need to be forming. I commend Bishop Bennison, the Diocese of Pennsylvania
and The Lutheran Theological Seminary in Philadelphia for this visionary
leadership."

Adds Dr. Philip D.W. Krey, LTSP president: "This gift from the Episcopal
Diocese and the chance to have Dr. Borsch on our faculty give wonderful
testimony to the longstanding cooperation between the diocese, the
Southeastern Pennsylvania Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America, and the seminary. These exciting developments give further,
powerful expression to Called to Common Mission and our generation-long
history of including Episcopal students and faculty at the core of LTSP's
programs and curriculum."

An additional $800,000 will be needed to complete endowment of the $2
million Chair. The diocese and the seminary hope that appointing Borsch, a
noted theologian, will attract the additional donor support needed.