From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3477 Statement from the Province of the Anglican Church in

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2003 14:24:26 +0100

ACNS 3477     |     SOUTH EAST ASIA	|     16 JUNE 2003

Statement from the Province of the Anglican Church in South East Asia

The Right Reverend Michael Ingham of the Diocese of New Westminster, Canada,
has advertently broken communion of himself and his Diocese with the wider
Anglican Communion by acting and teaching contrary to the Faith of the
Church through the authorisation of a public rite for the blessing of same
sex unions and the implementation of the same, effective from 28 May 2003.

We in the Province of the Anglican Church in South East Asia are not only
deeply saddened but also affronted by the said irresponsible and arrogant
action. We are of one mind that a clear firm stand and action must be taken
against it as we, like all believers are called "to contend for the faith
that once for all entrusted to the saints." (Jude 3)

Our Provincial Standing Committee has explicitly passed and adopted the
following Resolution at its Meetings in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on 19 and 20
February 1997:

"The Standing Committee of the Province of South East Asia do hereby
unanimously resolve:

To adopt and endorse the "Statement on Human Sexuality" unanimously passed
by the 2nd Anglican Encounter in the South held at Kuala Lumpur from 10 to
15 February 1997.

I That this Province supports and be in communion with that part of the
Anglican Communion which accepts and endorses the principles aforesaid and
not otherwise."

II The authorisation and implementation of a public blessing of same sex
union has blatantly gone against the clear and unequivocal stand of the
Lambeth Conference in 1998 in favour of Resolution 1.10 on human sexuality
and same sex union, and that of the successive Primates' Meetings since
then. In particular, the said action could not but be taken as intentionally
spiteful coming immediately after the just concluded Primates Meeting in
Brazil, which unanimously endorsed what the Archbishop of Canterbury said on
behalf of all "that it is through liturgy that we express what we believe,
and that there is no theological consensus about same sex unions. Therefore,
we as a body cannot support the authorisation of such rite."

We want to reaffirm our stand and total commitment to the Gospel of Jesus
Christ and the Apostolic Faith. Therefore, with a heavy heart, we are duty
bound to declare, with immediate effect, that we no longer be in communion
with Bishop Michael Ingham and all those who are supportive of his said act
and policy in the Diocese of New Westminster, Canada. In the meantime, we
want to assure the faithful clergy and laity of the said Diocese of our
support and fellowship who subscribe fully to the universal position of the
wider Anglican Communion on human sexuality and uphold biblical truth and
orthodoxy.

It is our hope and our prayers that this is only a temporary situation. We
pray that Bishop Michael Ingham and his Diocese of New Westminster will
retract openly from this decision of the blessing of same sex union
publicly. It is our deepest desire that this situation will be remedied as
soon as possible. We earnestly pray for a sincere resolution and swift
restoration of communion between us.

The Most Revd Datuk Yong Ping Chung
Primate of South East Asia Bishop of Sabah

The Right Reverend Datuk Made Katib
Bishop of Kuching

The Right Reverend Dr Tan Sri Lim Cheng Ean
Bishop of West Malaysia

The Right Reverend Dr John Chew
Bishop of Singapore

[Related articles and links are available from the ACNS Human Sexuality
Issues section
http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/special/humansexuality/index.html]