From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Anglicans in Uganda live their faith in difficult circumstances

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:29:55 -0400

June 18, 2003

2003-145

Episcopalians: Anglicans in Uganda live their faith in difficult
circumstances

by James Solheim

(ENS) "In the midst of devastating situations of poverty,
HIV/AIDS with all its attendant consequences, armed conflict and
the abduction of children, this heroic church remains faithful
and perseveres," said Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold in a
letter to bishops following a week-long visit to Anglicans in
Uganda.

The visit came at the invitation of Archbishop Livingston
Mpalanyi-Nkoyoyo, primate of the Church of the Province of
Uganda, and was timed to coincide with the celebration of the
Feast of the Martyrs of Uganda on June 3, a national holiday. A
crowd estimated at 800,000 people flowed like a human river to
the site of the martyrdom at the Roman Catholic and Anglican
shrines at Numugongo east of the capital city of Kampala.

Nkoyoyo welcomed the crowd of several thousand on the hillsides
near the actual site where 22 Christian pages in the court of
King Mwanga of Buganda were wrapped in reed mats and roasted
alive in 1886 for their refusal to renounce their faith and
swear allegiance to him and submit to his sexual advances.
According to witnesses, the youth went to their deaths singing
and praising the Lord.

The occasion marked a major turnaround for the church, changing
the perception of Christianity as a white man's religion to one
that was truly African. Today Uganda has the largest percentage
of professed Christians of any nation in Africa.

"The blood of martyrs is the seed of the church," the archbishop
reminded the crowds--even today. He introduced the widow and
children of his predecessor, Archbishop Janani Luwum, who was
martyred by the dictator Idi Amin in 1977. The service was
planned to honor all the church's martyrs, including those being
martyred on a daily basis in the war-torn northern part of the
country.

Grace and endurance

In his sermon at the four-hour Anglican service, Griswold said
that the Ugandan martyrs were on the calendar of saints in the
Episcopal Church in the USA. He talked of the heroic witness of
the church to the power of the Holy Spirit, "giving grace and
endurance even to this day in difficult conditions." Listening
to the stories of struggle to be faithful in Uganda was "an
inspiration that has strengthened our souls, seeing how the
church is reaching out in ways that shows in a very real way the
compassion of Christ."

During an overnight stop in London on his way to Uganda, he said
that he took an early morning walk to Westminster Abbey where he
saw the statue of Luwum on the fagade of the church, with other
20th century martyrs.

The service was an adventurous blend of elements, part Anglican,
part enthusiastic African Pentecostalism with a great deal of
singing and dancing. Griswold was escorted to the podium, for
example, by a hundred women from the Mothers Union and Daughters
of the King, singing and dancing their way across the lawn.
Also, following the sermon, the archbishop introduced an
evangelist who spent almost an hour deploring the corruption in
the nation, with Prime Minister Apollo Nsibambi sitting a few
feet away.

The prime minister had the last word, pointing out that the
martyrs "paid the highest price for their principles. They had
absolute faith in God." He wondered how many Ugandans today had
that kind of faith. He also expressed the hope that one day the
Anglicans and Roman Catholics could hold a joint service to
honor the martyrs.

The message of reconciliation

Griswold, his wife Phoebe, and several staff members were
welcomed May 28 to Uganda in a service at St. Mark's Church near
the airport at Entebbe, on the shores of Lake Victoria. In what
would be one of the few references to the sexuality
controversies in the Anglican Communion, the retired bishop of
Namirembe, Wilson Mtebi, said with a smile that they would
encounter a church that "does not permit any deviation from
Scripture," one that stands on the resolutions passed at the
Lambeth Conference of 1998 condemning practice.

In response, Griswold said that he came as a brother. "I expect
to be surprised and I'm also prepared to answer any questions
about the U.S. and the church." That opportunity came at a
meeting with the Uganda Joint Christian Council where he made
his first presentation. A lay theologian described a nation
riven with ethnic conflict and politics, torn between north and
south, between the Acholi and Bugandan tribes. Those divisions
are also apparent in the church," he said, charging that the
church was indifferent and insensitive to the martyrdom of
Luwum, who was "loved abroad but forgotten at home" because he
was an Acholi from the north.

In his address, Griswold talked about the terrorist attacks of
September 11, 2001, and how "the effect was to teach us in the
U.S. that we are vulnerable--a lesson hard to bear. In that
moment we joined the world community where suffering and violent
death are a daily reality." In a subsequent letter to the
primates of the Anglican Communion, he said that "this is a
moment in which the U.S. might see ourselves differently and
must ask about our relation with the rest of the world,
examining our politics in light of world suffering. The
fundamental message," Griswold said, "is one of reconciliation.
How can we as a nation seek to be an instrument of
reconciliation."  A number of the church leaders present at the
meeting expressed deep appreciation for the comments and
gratitude that "the developing world has allies in the West."

Hope for the future

The party visited a rural development project supported by
Episcopal Relief and Development where a widow had created a
five-acre compound with cattle and a few crops, enough to
support her family. In a service at the cathedral in Mityana,
Griswold noted that "in many parts of Africa rural life is
collapsing" so he was encouraged see concrete examples of
progress. He also thanked the people of the diocese for giving
the Episcopal Church Benjamin Musoke-Lubega, a Ugandan who is
the church's partnership officer for Africa--who had been
ordained in the cathedral.

The province's highly respected and very effective department of
Planning, Development and Rehabilitation (PDR) has gone right
down to the local level, working with the people to determine
the needs and the resources available--and providing glimmers of
hope for the future. "Anglicanism is a people church so ordinary
people hold the key," said the Rev. Tom Tuma, director of PDR.
"Our emphasis is on quality of life at the local level. If peole
are poor, the church is poor. We must play our part, make our
contribution."

Tuma is convinced that the church "should not run away from the
immense obstacles. The greater the obstacles the greater the
determination to overcome them. And small results provide
motivation for us," he said with an enthusiasm that has
attracted international donors--including Episcopal Relief and
Development--to PDR's projects.

Chilling stories from the north

One of the most sobering conversations during the trip was a
session with the bishops of Northern Uganda and Kitgum who told
chilling stories of what 17 years of war had done to their
people. Expressing disappointment that the security situation
had prevented a visit by the presiding bishop and his party to
the north, Bishop Nelson Onono-Oweng of Gulu described how
"traumatized" people were with hundreds of thousands reduced to
waiting for the war to end in squalid camps. "I don't know how
many will survive."

Under those conditions HIV/AIDS had become a major problem,
creating thousands of orphans. He said that two-thirds of the
people were living in desperate poverty, twice the level in the
rest of the country. About 80 percent of those who go to the
hospitals are HIV positive. "The American government could make
a big difference," they said, "but we sometimes wonder if the
U.S. even knows that we exist."

A group of Daughters of the King, a part of the delegation from
the north, described the suffering of women caught in the
violence and dislocation, trying to hold their families
together. Thousands of children are being abducted and trained
as "killing machines" for the Lord's Resistance Army, the main
rebel faction. (According to a recent Human Rights Watch Report,
a record 5,000 children have been abducted in the region in the
last year.)

The bishop and his delegation said that the situation was
compounded because of their isolation. They have no links with
the outside church and feel forgotten. In response, Griswold
said that he found their testimony "an incredible sign of God's
grace" and reported that the Episcopal Church has been involved
in efforts to affect legislation to alleviate the
situation--including the testimony of a bishop before a
congressional committee.

(The Episcopal Church's Office of Government Relations has
joined other advocates to press for diplomatic and humanitarian
assistance, proposing legislation for conflict prevention and
reconciliation programs in the Acholi region and aid for the
growing number of those internally displaced. Jere Skipper, the
international policy analyst in the office, said that the bill
recognizes the important work of peacemakers, such as the
interfaith Acholi Leaders Peace Initiative, to bring the warring
parties together and seek a peaceful solution. She expects
action on the bill before Congress takes its summer break.)

Later the bishop would describe life in the north where "the
nights are long--and dangerous." He told the story of his life
being threatened by a young rebel on a path near a village--and
recognizing him as someone he had confirmed.

'Life must go on'

The delegation from Kitgum said that their situation was in many
ways worse because they are located on the border with the
Sudan. "We are isolated by the violence, even from other
Ugandans," said Bishop Benjamin Ojwang. Luwum's grave and a
school named for him are located in his diocese. In a memorandum
prepared for the discussion, the delegation pointed out that 90
percent of the people in the region are living in camps that are
often raided by the rebels who seize children to serve as
soldiers. "The U.S. can stop the war. You must become our
voice," they pleaded.

Representatives of the Mothers Union described a complete moral
breakdown in the camps. Rebels abduct children between the ages
of nine and 13, sometimes forcing mothers to kill their own
children when they try to resist. Some of the women are forced
into prostitution to save their children. Clergy are also
confined to the camps and are just as vulnerable as the rest of
the people, the delegation reported. "We can't wait for the war
to end," said one participant. "Life must go on."

Deeply moved by their stories, Phoebe Griswold promised to take
their story back to America. "Your story needs to be told,
especially your struggle to survive."

US Ambassador Jimmy Klocker verified the horrific stories,
praising the church for its peace efforts and its "resilience."
He said that the church in the north is the only institution
holding society together. But he warned that the situation was
not getting any better, largely because the Lord's Resistance
Army doesn't seem to have a political agenda that would open a
path for negotiation, other than trying to replace the present
government with a theocracy based on the Ten Commandments. He
said that the people are actually being terrorized by both the
rebels and the government troops. In the long-term tension
between north and south the northerners don't relate well to the
government in Kampala and feel that they have been neglected and
persecuted--a perception that must be addressed before there can
be reconciliation, he said.

The ambassador estimated that there may be as many as a million
people internally displaced. "We need to be ready when the war
ends to move into redeveloping the region," he said. "It's a
very religious country and many programs have been initiated by
the churches and the NGOs." He noted their participation in the
fight against HIV/AIDS, now being used as a model, with its
emphasis on abstinence, faithfulness in relationships and the
use of condoms.  He gave substantial credit for the program's
effectiveness to President Yoweri Museveni, who was welcomed to
the White House June 10 and honored for his "extraordinary
leadership." An estimated five percent of the population is now
infected, compared with 15 percent a decade ago.

Uganda will also benefit from the Bush Administration's
HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria Act of 2003, "the largest
single up-front commitment in history for an international
public health initiative involving a specific disease,"
according to President George W. Bush.

The party visited the Archbishop Carey Regional Resource Centre
for AIDS, named for the former archbishop of Canterbury, opened
by him during a visit in 1998. Bishop Samuel Ssekkadde	of
Namirembe, who had just returned from an international
conference on AIDS in Germany, has been a tireless advocate for
the church's role in fighting the pandemic.

The centre mobilizes efforts by the church, offers information
and documentation, provides advocacy for those affected and
infected, as well as training for those living with HIV/AIDS.
During a ceremony, Griswold described his experience as a
care-giver for someone living with AIDS when he was the bishop
in Chicago--an experience that led to a commitment to join the
fight against the disease. "We will not stop our efforts--ever,"
he said.

Sharing realities during a retreat

In a day-long retreat with bishops of the Ugandan church and
their wives, both Griswolds shared their spiritual journeys.  He
talked about "how I have been shaped and formed by Christ over
the years," admitting that "sometimes the seed grows slowly."
Although he was baptized, "there were no signs of fruit in the
early years."

At boarding school he was fascinated with the complexity of the
worship rituals as he sang in the choir--and was confirmed at
the age of 15. Yet he expressed shock when a roommate reported
that a priest at the school thought that Griswold should be a
priest. Describing it as a "laughing annunciation," it finally
dawned on him that the priesthood might indeed be a vocation.

"Faith is a constant search and exploration," said Phoebe in
describing her own spiritual journey. It has been a challenge,
over the years, to find her own voice, as a woman, one who
nurtures others. She developed a deep concern for children and
the hungry, adding that "Frank allows and encourages my spirit
to flourish."

Griswold said during one session that he is concerned that, in
the United States, "we have too many resources and not enough
spirit." The question, he said, is how we can share one
another's burdens. When asked about divisions in the church, he
said that "at some fundamental level all things have already
been reconciled through Christ so the question becomes what are
the barriers to recognizing what God has done." He added, "I
have to trust that God can put the pieces together. That gives
me some hope, confidence and courage. God's time is different so
I try not to be dispirited by the divisions we are living with."
He warned them to watch out for rumors that create mistrust
because "that is the Evil One at work."

During a discussion after Griswold's meditations on the role of
bishops, several bishops confessed that they were feeling
completely inadequate in the face of the HIV/AIDS pandemic. They
also said that it was the first time they had met as bishops
without a business agenda--and how important it was to develop a
new sense of collegiality and support for one another. "It was
very important time with the bishops in the context of prayer
and retreat where they shared the Scripture of their lives--the
unfailing and absolute power of the Gospel," Griswold said
later.

Wives of bishops have clear vision

In a separate meeting with the wives of the bishops, Phoebe said
that "despite the poverty and AIDS, they have a very clear
vision of their roles," even if they find it daunting. A
bishop's home is open all day and it is not unusual to wake in
the morning to find people standing outside expecting breakfast.
Widows and children sometimes show up looking for a place to
stay. "They constantly share whatever they have--and they pray
and pray with the people," she said. Despite the obvious
frustrations in trying to meet these needs and expectations,
"they look to Scripture for strength."

Leadership was cited as a major issue for the church in Uganda.
In the past, Bishop Tucker College prepared many of the clergy
and now, since it became Uganda Christian University in 1997,
that role has been expanded. Griswold noted that "the vision of
a thriving university has been close to the archbishop's heart."

The Rev. Stephen Noll, an American volunteer for mission who is
serving as vice chancellor of the university, said that there
are now 136 students studying theology, between 20 and 25 of
them are women. The university has also developed a program for
theology by extension, available to hundreds of students spread
throughout eastern Africa. "People seldom think of higher
education as mission," said Noll. "But I've seen a growth of
mission awareness."

Tribalism a nagging issue

It was apparent from conversations with church leaders that they
face immense challenges in the future. Neither the church nor
the nation are unified. "We speak many languages--and our
ethnicity leads to more tribalism," said the Rev. Stanley
Ntigali, secretary of the province who was instrumental in
arranging details of the visit.

He added that "tribalism knows no boundaries," often interfering
with the election of bishops. In one extreme case, a bishop was
improperly involved in the election of his successor and, as a
result, many in the diocese moved to prevent the consecration of
his successor. The archbishop was forced to delay the
consecration because of security threats. The matter is now in
the courts as one faction sued the archbishop, trying to force
the consecration to proceed. The house of bishops has postponed
the consecration indefinitely, seeking reconciliation. With two
dioceses vacant, the election of a new archbishop this fall is
also uncertain.

Ntigali said that "poverty remains a huge problem with a
majority still very poor--as high as 90 percent in many rural
areas where there is no health care, no clean water, and a poor
infrastructure." Economic conditions are complicating church
life. Most clergy never receive their full salary of about $100
a month and must supplement their income. That makes recruitment
very difficult. Yet women clergy "are doing very well. We have
83 ordained women and value their ministry very much."

Understanding of HIV/AIDS is "still low in villages where there
is tremendous ignorance. It is creating many orphans and family
structures are crumbling. The church doesn't have many ways of
handling such enormous problems."

Ntigali said that he has lost two brothers to AIDS and has taken
in their children, adding them to his own five children. "Every
family is affected and the problems seem beyond control, beyond
the church's ability to help." Yet he said that the church has
"started to talk about the dangers, preaching about them,
teaching awareness. And it has made a huge difference."

Praying for peace

The Rev. Hellen Oneka, one of the first women ordained in the
church and now director of Mothers Union for the province, works
with women in the villages, training them in health care and
child care, promoting morality during visits to schools. She
also promotes agriculture in an effort to support AIDS orphans
in what she describes as "a very difficult situation." Everyone
gets involved, she said, revealing that she has 20 children who
depend on her for support.

Oneka had just returned from a visit to the north where she saw
people hiding and sleeping in the bush out of fear of attack.
"You see the situation and you just cry. There are thousands
jammed together in camps with no food, under constant attack by
rebels. Women are sometimes raped in front of their children. It
is too much," she said with a deep and weary sadness. "If the
war would end people could return to their homes and put their
lives back together." During the trip she was held at gunpoint
four times but, since she is from the area and speaks the
language, it probably saved her life. "Our prayer is that the
war ends."

At the end of the trip, Griswold said that one of the most
moving visits had been to the archbishop's retirement home to
meet 65 street children and orphans who were living there while
the church builds a new village for them nearby. That kind of
desire and determination to do something to address a desperate
need "is at the very heart and soul of the church in Uganda."

------

--James Solheim is director of Episcopal News Service and was a
staff member on the visit to Uganda.