From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Menaul School loses its Head

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 20 Jun 2003 14:10:24 -0400

Note #7820 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Menaul School loses its Head
03269
June 20, 2003

Menaul School loses its Head

Historic New Mexico school launches national search for successor

by Evan Silverstein

LOUISVILLE - Michael L. Gaylor has stepped down as president of Menaul
School, a Presbyterian-related college/preparatory school in New Mexico.

Gaylor, whose official title was Head of School, is credited with increasing
the scope and depth of the curriculum at the 122-year-old private institution
near downtown Albuquerque.

His last day in Menaul's top administrative position was May 31.

Gloria Mallory, who has been a special assistant to Gaylor for the past year,
was named interim Head of School. The board of trustees is planning a
national search for a permanent replacement.

Gaylor joined Menaul School, a historic institution with about 350 students
in grades 6 through 12, about five years ago, as director of institutional
advancement. He was promoted to Head of School in 2000.

"I have enjoyed my time at Menaul and I treasure the many friendships I have
formed with faculty, current and former students and their families, staff
and trustees," Gaylor said. "I will miss them all, but look forward to using
the lessons I have learned here to benefit another organization."

Menaul School is one of eight racial-ethnic schools and colleges affiliated
with the Presbyterian Church (USA), and one of only two secondary schools
having a covenant agreement with the General Assembly Council.

Gaylor's contract with Menaul was to expire in June 2004, and he had told the
trustees that he did not intend to renew. The board chose to appoint an
interim chief executive and launch a national search, the school said
recently in a news release.

"We mutually agreed that now was the time to begin looking for someone to
build on all that Dr. Gaylor accomplished in order to keep Menaul strong in
the future," said John Ackerman, the board chair.

In addition to improving the academic curriculum, Gaylor is said to have
improved the quality of faculty and staff at Menaul and re-emphasized its
historic roots as a racial-ethnic school of the PC(USA).

"Dr. Gaylor has done an outstanding job guiding Menaul through one of the
most challenging times in its history," Ackerman said. "We thank him for his
extraordinary contributions to the school, and wish him well in the future."

As director of institutional advancement at Menaul, Gaylor raised $850,000 to
$1 million a year in donations. But during his term as Head of School, he saw
donations slip - to $608,000 this year. In April, the GAC approved a $450,000
loan to help the college-preparatory school deal with a financial crisis.

Menaul School was established in 1881 to serve Native-American youth by the
famous Presbyterian missionary, the Rev. Sheldon Jackson. It later was
renewed under the leadership of another Presbyterian missionary, the Rev.
James P. Menaul, to serve children in northern New Mexico with few other
educational options. Through the years, it has broadened its mission to
include students from all races and religions.

Today, racial-ethnic students account for 61 percent of enrollment. About 45
percent of students are Hispanic, 12 percent Native-American, 2 percent
African-American and 2 percent Asian-American.

*** For instructions on using this system (including how to UNJOIN this
meeting), send e-mail to mailrequests@ecunet.org