From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Religious leaders urge Bush to save child tax credit benefit

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:57:05 -0500

June 23, 2003	News media contact: Tim Tanton7(615)742-54707Nashville, Tenn.
 10-71B{334}

By United Methodist News Service*

Two United Methodists are among a dozen Christian leaders calling on
President George W. Bush to ask Congress to restore child tax credit
provisions that were dropped from the tax bill he signed in May.

The leaders, who wrote to Bush on June 19, represent denominations affiliated
with the National Council of Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. They include
the Rev. Robert Edgar, the NCC's top staff executive and a United Methodist,
and Bishop Melvin G. Talbert, ecumenical officer for the United Methodist
Council of Bishops.

"The National Council of Churches urges you to call on the House leadership
to restore the child tax credit benefits that were dropped from the final tax
bill," the religious leaders wrote to Bush. "You have called faith-based
groups 'soldiers in the armies of compassion.' As faith leaders we implore
you to lead us in the fight for the children of low-income families by
interceding on their behalf. Without your personal intervention, this bill
will surely die in Congress."

Initially, the tax bill excluded relief to lower-income families, but the
Senate passed bipartisan legislation, supported by Bush, to include the child
tax credit in the final bill. Remedial legislation would restore the tax
relief to the working parents of almost 12 million children - one out of
every six children under age 17, and more than a million children of military
personnel, the NCC said. The bill is in the House of Representatives.

The faith leaders said they "have grave concerns" about the bill. "We pray
that you will demonstrate America's concern for every child by urging the
House to accept the Senate version of the bill without further delay," they
wrote to Bush. Without his help, "millions of low-income families will be
denied the relief they need," they wrote.

"We really need the President to move on this," Edgar said in a press
release. "Our children need us to show them through our actions that we care
about their well-being."

The letter also was signed by Presbyterian Church (USA), American Baptist,
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, United Church of Christ and Episcopal
leaders.
# # #
*This report was adapted from a National Council of Churches press release.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org