From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Consultation urgently calls for peaceful solution to Korean crisi

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:30:30 -0400

June 24, 2003

2003-148

Episcopalians: Consultation urgently calls for peaceful solution
to Korean crisi

by James Solheim

(NCC/ENS) A three-day consultation on the Korean crisis ended
with urgent calls for fresh talks with North Koreans in an
effort to find a peaceful solution to one of the world's most
dangerous confrontations.

"It is our conviction that diplomacy and negotiations remain the
best approach for finding durable solution," said a final
statement on June 18 signed by 80 participants from churches,
humanitarian agencies, the United Nations, academia and other
sectors. "The conclusion of a non-aggression pact between North
Korea and the United States renouncement of preemptive attack
and negotiation of a peace . As well as action to address the
humanitarian needs of the North Koreans.

In the final message, participants noted that for two decades
the National Council of Churches (NCC) and Church World Service
(CWS) "have actively engaged their member communions in
responding to the Korean people's aspiration for peace and
reunification. We have encouraged our government and Congress to
take bold steps to help break down the walls of division between
North and South Korea" and provided over $4 million in
humanitarian aid.

In a plan of action, the consultation urged member communions to
encourage their congregations to be peacemakers and advocates
for resolution of the current conflict through peaceful means
and called on the ecumenical community to continue its nurture
of ties with the Christian community on the Korean peninsula.

Role of United States crucial

The role of the United States is crucial, participants argued.
"If the United States were to take the lead in effecting a
peaceful settlement, it would get universal support," said
Ambassador Maurice Strong, special adviser to the Secretary
General of the United Nations. "We can get a settlement--if we
want one. The question is whether the U.S. government wants it
or just wants an excuse for regime change," said Dr. Selig
Harrison of the Center for International Policy.

Strong said that he was optimistic that it was possible to
achieve a comprehensive settlement that guarantees North Korea's
security and sovereignty and helps North Korea solve its food
and energy crises, develop economically and normalize relations
with the international community. In addressing the role of the
churches, he said, "The difference you can make has never been
more important than now or in any crisis. You can affect this
crisis even more than you aspired to affect Iraq."

Korean expert N.A Namkung agreed, sharing his belief that many
in the North Korean government "regard church-based groups to be
North Korea's only genuine link to the outside world. In their
economic distress, these churches have been a lifeline. I think
there is genuine appreciation for what these groups have done."

"We must stand with our partners who have worked so long and
hard for reconciliation and reunification," said the Rev. Brian
Grieves, director of the church's Peace and Justice Ministries.
He said that several participants in the meeting shared deeply
personal stories that added a human dimension to the crisis.
"And that is where the church should be--standing with those who
are suffering," he said. While there was some optimism about the
political and diplomatic agenda, Grieves said that others warned
that changing the culture in North Korea, and releasing the
energy of the youth, would be much more difficult.

"One of our conclusions coming out of the consultation is the
need to do a better job on telling the story of the struggle for
reunification to the wider Church in the U.S," he said. "We need
to ratchet up our efforts as we have in the Middle East these
past couple of years."

Grieves reported that this summer's General Convention would
consider a resolution (A036) that "would give us a strong policy
base for our advocacy." It calls for peaceful reunification but
also calls for special attention to the humanitarian needs --
including development and the end of political demonization.

Policy struggles

Namkung said that "hawks" and "moderates" in both the USA and
Korea are engaged in policy struggles. A policy "based on the
mirage of North Korea's imminent collapse" only strengthens the
hawks in North Korea, thereby retarding reforms and "hastening
the advent of a nuclearized North Korea." During informal talks
recently in Beijing, the North Koreans admitted that they
already had nuclear weapons and had deployed them.

Noting that on July 27 the world marks the 50th anniversary of
the armistice agreement that divided the peninsula but did not
officially end the war, the Rev. John McCullough, director of
CWA, said that "it is imperative church leaders from the United
States and from Korea come together and merge our voices and
passion to effect a different future." NCC General Secretary Bob
Edgar added, "We need to advance not a view of preemptive war
but of diplomatic priorities, not of first strike but a view of
care for one another. If we want to show shock and awe, we need
to show love and justice."

"As followers of Jesus Christ, we are called to ministries of
reconciliation, to work unceasingly to break down the barriers
that divide human beings one from another," said the final
statement. "This reconciliation is urgently needed today in
Korea, which for half a century has been divided. The people who
live in this divided country are yearning for reconciliation.
Reconciliation is also necessary between the USA and Korea. The
churches," it argued, "must engage in a ministry of
reconciliation, reaching out to Christians and Korean people of
other faiths to engage them in dialogue as well as to affirm our
common humanity with all members of God's family."

The statement concluded that "confrontational policies risk
provoking North Korea's rulers to escalate the nuclear crisis,
to press ahead with the further development of its nuclear
program, and to significantly increase the risk for millions of
people on the Korean peninsula."

------

--James Solheim is director of the Episcopal News Service.