From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3488 Archbishop of Canterbury announces new chief of staff

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:21:13 +0100

ACNS 3488     |     LAMBETH PALACE     |     25 JUNE 2003

Archbishop of Canterbury announces new chief of staff

[ACNS source: Lambeth Palace] The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan
Williams, has announced the appointment of a Chief of Staff for Lambeth
Palace. Mr Chris Smith, currently General Manager of Hoare's Bank, will take
up his duties in late September.

The Archbishop said, "I'm delighted that someone with the gifts and skills
that Chris has will be joining the team here at Lambeth and I look forward to
the extra dimension he will be able to add."

Mr Smith (54) is a former General Secretary of the Diocese of London before
which he was a partner in Price Waterhouse, London. He said today that he was
looking forward to the challenge:

"I am delighted to be taking up this fascinating and intriguing role and I
hope to make a difference to Archbishop Rowan by easing the burden of
administration.

"In moving to the office of the Archbishop of Canterbury, I will be going
from one venerable institution to another - I hope that some of the skills I
have picked up along the way prove to be transferable."

Mr Smith is married with two grown up daughters.

The post of Chief of staff at Lambeth Palace was proposed both by the Hurd
Review of the See of Canterbury, To Lead and To Serve, and by the second
stage of the Mellows review, Resourcing Archbishops. Both envisaged a lay
chief of staff taking a major administrative role and freeing up the
Archbishop to spend more time on the uniquely archiepiscopal duties of his
post.