From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: News Briefs

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Thu, 3 Jul 2003 11:42:40 -0400

July 3, 2003

2003-154

Episcopalians: News Briefs

European church assembly closes with call for worldwide
sharing

(ENI) A major gathering of European churches has ended with a
call from the archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, for a
sharing of resources between peoples of the northern and
southern hemispheres.

"In the global economy, it is not enough for the prosperous
world and its trading systems to say: 'We want to bring you into
the market; we want to make life better for you,'" said Williams
on July 2 in Trondheim, Norway, at the 12th assembly of the
Conference of European Churches.

"There has to be some way of saying, 'We are hungry and thirsty
for your welfare; we are not ourselves, not fully human, without
you,'" said Williams, leader of the worldwide Anglican
Communion, in a sermon at the assembly's closing worship service
in Trondheim, an ancient centre of Christianity in Norway.

At the open-air service near the banks of the River Nidelven,
which divides Trondheim in two, the archbishop noted that people
now commonly said that wars of the next generation would be
fought over water supplies: "It is already a major political
issue in parts of the Middle East."

Williams asked: "How does Israel find the freedom to say to the
Palestinians, 'We need you for our life and health?' And, How do
the other states of the region find the freedom to say, 'We need
Israel'?

"When these things are said and known, who knows what can
change?" referring to potential for reconciliation between
Israelis and Palestinians.

The eight-day church gathering in Trondheim attended by about
800 participants took place as the European Union was planning
to expand its membership in 2004 from 15 to 25 European nations.

The assembly in a statement on July 1 described EU enlargement
as a "source of hope for many people" and said that "in reducing
barriers between countries and people, the EU has made a
contribution to the peace of the continent."

But the gathering also warned that this contribution should not
be "negated by the creation of new barriers between member and
non-member states."

"As well as the economic disparities between countries,
expectations of cultural assimilation across the continent cause
resentment and the danger of new division," the statement said.

The assembly also welcomed a draft EU constitution drawn up
after 15 months of discussion and intended to help the EU
accommodate the influx of new member states.

"The draft text recognizes the special identity and
contributions of churches and expresses the [European] Union's
commitment to maintain a structured and transparent dialogue
with them," the assembly said.

However, the assembly did not endorse the demand from some
church leaders, including Pope John Paul II, for an explicit
reference in the EU constitution to Europe's Christian heritage.

Archbishop of Canterbury affirms support for Anglican women
bishops

(ENI) The archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, has
reaffirmed his personal support for the consecration of women as
bishops in the Church of England, but said the final decision
rested with the church as a whole.

"I cannot find any theological objection myself to women
becoming bishops if we accept women becoming priests, said
Williams, the leader of the Anglican Communion, on July 1 at a
European church gathering in Trondheim, Norway.

"The question is in what way and at what pace is that
appropriate," he said. "Theologically, yes; but in practical
terms I wait to see what is possible and listen to those on all
sides."

The Church of England started ordaining women as priests in 1994
but does not accept women as bishops.

Anglican churches in the United States, Canada and New Zealand
already have women bishops. The Scottish Episcopal Church voted
in June to accept women as bishops.

The issue is being considered in the Church of England by an
investigating body known as the Rochester Commission, which is
due to report in 2004 or 2005.

Williams, enthroned as archbishop of Canterbury in February, was
speaking at an informal gathering during the12th assembly of the
Conference of European Churches, in Trondheim.

East African Anglican church leaders join in opposition to gay
bishop

(ENI)Leaders of Anglican churches in East Africa have joined
their Nigerian counterpart in denouncing the appointment of an
openly homosexual priest as a bishop in the Church of England,
asserting that it violated church law and went against Christian
ethics.

Archbishop Benjamin Nzimbi, head of the Anglican Church of
Kenya, maintained that his province would not recognise the plan
to consecrate Canon Jeffrey John as the assistant bishop of the
Reading diocese in England, even if it meant losing the support
of the worldwide Anglican Communion leadership in Canterbury.

"Our stand is very clear on the issue of homosexuality, and we
are totally opposed to any consecration now and in future,"
Nzimbi told ENI in Nairobi on July 2.

His pronouncement came soon after a similar one by Archbishop
Peter J. Akinola of Nigeria--the world's biggest Anglican
province, with about 17 million members. Akinola said he
considered the appointment of a gay man as bishop in Reading and
election of another in New Hampshire in the United States
counter to Anglican teaching and considered ungodly the move by
a bishop in the Canadian province of British Colombia to issue a
liturgy for the blessing of same-sex marriages.

Said Nzimbi: "We had talked to our leader, and he had assured us
that he will abide to the church laws. We feel that those who
accept to carry on will only kick themselves out of the Anglican
Communion." But Nzimbi said he would not banish homosexuals and
lesbians from Kenya's churches.

The leader of the Anglican Church of the Province of Uganda has
also opposed the consecration of John.

"We have always made our stand clear. We definitely don't agree
with it," Ugandan Archbishop Livingstone Nkoyoyo told the
Monitor, an independent daily newspaper, on  June 23. "We
totally don't agree and we have tried our best to oppose it. But
it's still too early. Let's wait and see. We shall [make] the
next move when the right time comes."

Supreme Court decision in Texas case praised by Presiding
Bishop

(ENS) Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold issued a statement July 2
praising the US Supreme Court for its 6-3 decision in Lawrence
v. Texas, which overturned the state's sodomy law and reversed
the high court's 1986 decision in Bowers v. Hardwick.

"I add my voice to those who are heartened by the Supreme Court
ruling on the Lawrence vs. Texas case," the statement said. "The
ruling invalidated a Texas law that criminalized sexual conduct
between adults of the same sex. Earlier this year I signed an
amicus brief in support of ending this law. This action reminds
us that all people have the right to privacy and should not be
subjected to laws that deny that right.

"The Episcopal Church has been on record in support of the civil
rights of gay and lesbian persons since 1976 and this decision
by the Supreme Court is consistent with our Church's established
policy," Griswold said.

The Episcopal Church was joined in filing an amicus brief in
support of the plaintiffs by the United Church of Christ, the
American Friends Service Committee, the Methodist Federation for
Social Action, the Commission on Social Action of Reform
Judaism, Hadassah/Women's Zionist Organization of America, and
the Unitarian Universalist Association. Also filing amicus
briefs were lesbian and gay affinity groups for the American
Baptists, Church of the Brethren/Mennonites, Disciples of
Christ, the Evangelical Lutheran Church, Greek Orthodox,
Latter-day Saints, Presbyterian Church USA, the Roman Catholic
Church, Pentecostal denominations, Seventh-day Adventists,
United Methodists, and groups representing lesbian and gay Jews
and Muslims.

No major US Christian denomination supported Texas in its appeal
of the decision.

Integrity, the lesbian and gay affinity group for Episcopalians,
also joined in the amicus brief supporting the appeal by John
Lawrence and Tyron Garner. "The days of Christian-supported
legal discrimination against gay and lesbian people in the
United States seem to be waning, and for this we give thanks to
God," said a statement released by the Rev. Michael Hopkins,
president of Integrity. "We also give thanks that no longer can
opponents of the public celebration of same-sex unions in our
Church use the argument that such unions are illegal in many
states. The Supreme Court today put an end to that reality.

Sodomy laws were frequently invoked to deny employment or
housing to gay men or lesbians and by courts in refusing custody
or visitation for gay or lesbian parents. Last year an Episcopal
priest in Northern Virginia, the Rev. Linda Kaufman, was
initially denied the right to adopt a foster child from the
District of Columbia because of Virginia's prohibition against
sodomy among homosexual and heterosexual partners. Kaufman sued
and won the right to adopt, but the state has repeatedly
dismissed appeals of the sodomy law.

Anglican-Roman Catholic Commission meets to articulate a common
vision'

(ACNS) Members of the International Anglican Roman Catholic
Commission for Unity and Mission (IARCCUM) gathered in Northern
Ireland June 10-14, for their third meeting, continuing the work
arising from the conference of Anglican and Roman Catholic
bishops held at Mississauga in 2000. The commission is
responsible to the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian
Unity and the Anglican Communion for finding practical ways to
express the fruits of the dialogue between Anglicans and Roman
Catholics over the last thirty-five years.

The chief business of the commission was to work on the text of
a Common Declaration to be submitted to the authorities of the
Roman Catholic Church and the Anglican Communion, intended to
identify a sufficient degree of agreement in faith to enable a
new level of common life and mission together. The commission is
also promoting video and web resources to communicate the extent
of what has already been achieved in the dialogue between the
Anglican Communion and the Roman Catholic Church, particularly
the work of the Anglican Roman Catholic International Commission
(ARCIC), and to nurture new ways of working together.

Participants welcomed news of the work of the Anglican Roman
Catholic Canon Lawyers Colloquium, established by academics from
the Angelicum and Gregorian Universities in Rome and from the
Centre of Law and Religion of Cardiff University in Wales. This
colloquium, which meets annually, will explore the canon law of
the two churches in relation to sacramental sharing at their
next meeting in 2004.

Members traveled to Belfast in order to pray together at the
Anglican and Roman Catholic cathedrals in that city, and to
reflect on the progress of the peace process in Northern
Ireland. They welcomed the Anglican and Roman Catholic
Archbishops of Armagh and local diocesan bishops at their
meeting, and joined with them in praying for reconciliation and
the work of Christian witness in Northern Ireland.

The commission will meet next in Seattle in February 2004.

Episcopal Church resumes dialogue with Polish National
Catholics

(ENS) After a hiatus of over four years, the Episcopal Church
and the Polish National Catholic Church in the United States
resumed a formal dialogue June 25-26, 2003 at the Trinity
Conference Center in West Cornwall, Connecticut. Formerly the
two churches shared a full communion relationship inaugurated in
1940 with the Episcopal Church approving such a relationship
with the Old Catholic Churches of the Union of Utrecht, which
includes the PNCC. The PNCC accepted what was then called
"intercommunion" in 1946. However, the 1978 Synod of the PNCC
voted to "terminate intercommunion with the Protestant Episcopal
Church in the United States of America and the Anglican Church
of Canada" over the ordination of women.

However, according to the Most Rev. John F. Swantek (until
recently the Prime Bishop of the PNCC), this was never intended
to break off all dialogue or ongoing relations between the two
churches. The Episcopal Church has never taken official action
Episcopal side, the situation is as it was between 1940 and the
PNCC acceptance of intercommunion in 1946. The invitation to
resume a full communion relationship is still open. "Our
resumption of this dialogue is long overdue," commented Bishop
Christopher Epting, the Presiding Bishop's deputy for ecumenical
and interfaith relations. "The Polish National Catholic Church
is the only official Old Catholic presence in the United States.
If we are in communion with the Union of Utrecht we must find a
way to move closer to the PNCC here at home."

After brief updates on the various ecumenical dialogues engaged
in by the two churches, members of this resumed conversation
rehearsed the history of the relationship and began planning for
the future.

A draft mission statement was adopted for the ECUSA-PNCC
Dialogue, which reads: "In response to the Great Commission, we
seek to foster deeper understanding, cooperation, and mutual
affection between our two churches in order to move toward the
unity for which Christ prayed."

Specific steps toward that goal include the scheduling of the
next two meetings for January 12-14, 2004 in Scranton,
Pennsylvania, and June 15-17, 2004 back at the Trinity
Conference Center. Initial plans were made for a joint clergy
conference on "Catholic Evangelism" slated for the fall of 2004
near Cleveland. In addition to a keynote speaker, it was
suggested that it include a panel of persons from both PNCC and
Episcopal parishes who have successful evangelization programs.
Bishop Thomas Gnat, the Rev. Leslie Hague, and Bishop David
Joslin agreed to serve on a committee for the conference.

Participants in the meeting included, from the PNCC, Bishop
Gnat, the Rev. Jacek Soroka, and the Most Rev. John F. Swantek.
>From the Episcopal Church, participants included Bishops Epting
and Joslin and the Revs. Robert W. Anthony, Leslie Hague,
Richard Hamlin, and Warren Platt.

European church bodies plan to join forces for migrants' rights

(ENI) Two European church organizations are planning to join
forces to mobilize churches in Europe against racism and
xenophobia and in support of the rights of migrants and
refugees.

The 12th assembly of the Conference of European Churches (CEC),
meeting in Trondheim, Norway, voted on July 1 to strengthen
cooperation with the Brussels-based Churches' Commission for
Migrants in Europe (CCME). Under the plan, the current work of
the migrants commission would come under the CEC umbrella.

"As migration and, more particularly, the concern for refugees
and ethnic minorities is on the agenda of many of our member
churches, we wish to encourage increased ecumenical cooperation
in these fields," noted the Rev. Keith Clements, CEC's general
secretary.

"Migration and all related issues are becoming a major theme for
all European countries, and the need for churches to be the
church of the stranger, of the weak, of those whose rights are
at risk is evident," said Clements.

CEC, which has offices in Geneva, Brussels and Strasbourg, was
founded in 1959 and has more than 120 member churches throughout
Europe. CCME was founded in 1964 and has members from 16
countries.

"All member churches of CEC will join step-by-step into the
coordinated work of the commission on combating racism and on
minorities," said the CCME's moderator, Annemarie Dupre, from
Italy, welcoming the decision by the CEC assembly at a press
conference.

In recent years, CCME has focused on issues such as asylum,
trafficking of human beings, racism and xenophobia. Together
with other Christian organizations, CCME monitors the
development of European Union legislation on migration and
asylum.

The CEC assembly on Tuesday also called on all European
governments to ratify a United Nations treaty on the rights of
migrant workers and their families, which came into force on
July 1 and is legally binding for the 22 states that have
ratified it. However, no major industrialized country has signed
the convention, Human Rights Watch reported.

"Migration has shaped European society and continues to
contribute to its cultural richness as well as its economic
prosperity," the assembly said in a statement. "Yet migration
has been treated primarily as a security problem, and responses
to it have been demeaning of the rights and the dignity of those
who come to us as strangers and as neighbors."

The United Nations Population Division estimates that 175
million people are international immigrants.

Locally grown organic meal featured at General Convention

(ENS) Think globally -- but eat locally.

That's what the Episcopal Ecological Network (EEN) is hoping
participants in the 74th General Convention in Minneapolis will
do this summer, as they partake of a locally grown organic meal
being offered at General Convention.

The meal is set for Monday, August 4th at 5:30, at Gethsemane
Episcopal Church in downtown Minneapolis. Because only 200
people can be served, the family-style meal will be "first come,
first served." Keynote speaker for the event will be Bishop Mark
MacDonald of Alaska.

The cost for the meal is $25. Advance reservations can be made
by completing a form on the EEN website (www.EENonline.org) or
calling (763) 441-5482. Payment must be by cash or check--no
credit cards. There will be a 'menu' identifying the food
producers at each table. Latecomers can make reservations at the
EEN booth in the exhibit hall during the convention.

------