From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA's Concordia College Names Paul Dovre Interim President

From NEWS@ELCA.ORG
Date Thu, 3 Jul 2003 15:37:37 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 3, 2003

ELCA's Concordia College Names Paul Dovre Interim President
03-142-JAC

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Dr. Paul J. Dovre was named interim president
June 30 of Concordia College, Moorhead, Minn., by the board of
regents.  Dovre, a former president of the college, began his duties
July 1.  Concordia is one of 28 colleges and universities of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).
     Dovre succeeded the Rev. Thomas W. Thomsen, who announced his
resignation April 28.  Thomsen's resignation was effective July 1.
     The board's search committee spent six weeks reviewing
candidates before making the selection, a Concordia news release
said.
     "I [accept] with appreciation for the opportunity to serve my
alma mater in a new time and manner, with humility for the trust the
college community has placed in me and with confidence in the
excellence of the faculty, staff and students," Dovre said in a
letter to students.
     Dovre graduated from Concordia in 1958.  He served as the
school's eighth president and retired in 1999.	Since then, he has
served as a visiting scholar at Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.;
interim dean of students at Luther Seminary, St. Paul, Minn.; and as
interim president at Capital University, Columbus, Ohio.  Capital
University is an ELCA higher education institution;  Luther Seminary
one of eight ELCA seminaries.
     "Paul Dovre brings experience, proven leadership and a keen
understanding of Concordia College and its constituency to this
position," said Ronald Offutt, chair, board of regents.  "We are
extremely fortunate to have him leading the college and positioning
our next president for great success.  Paul's passionate commitment
to advancing Concordia's mission is just what we need to move forward
during this critical transition."
---
* Jessica A. Crane is completing her bachelor of arts degree at
Concordia College, Moorhead, Minn.  This summer she is an intern with
ELCA News and Media Production.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news