From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC Urges Bush to Send U.S. Peacekeepers to Liberia

From "Nat'l Council of Churches" <nccc_usa@ncccusa.org>
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:07:50 -0400

NCC-USA Urges President Bush to Send Peacekeeping Forces to Liberia

The National Council of Churches USA laments the current situation in
Liberia.  The loss of life and the destruction of property due to civil
strife have devastated the country.  The humanitarian crisis is severe.  In
order for the people of Liberia to rise from the ashes of this conflict, the
international community must step in to help stabilize the country.

The NCC is encouraged by the priority placed by President George Bush on the
African continent.  For too long, the United States has neglected Africa and
the problems that have plagued it.  For this reason, the NCC is appreciative
of the Presidents attentiveness to problems such as HIV/AIDS, poverty and
war.   We are particularly mindful of his concern for the victims of the
hostilities that have ravaged Liberia.	Therefore, we urge the President to
commit peacekeeping troops, as part of an international stabilization force,
together with political leadership and financial resources, to help resolve
the conflict.

While the NCC remains steadfast in its stand against war, and indeed argues
for nonviolence as a means of resolving conflicts, it nevertheless sees
peacekeeping as a legitimate use of military power.  Especially when
conducted in partnership with other nations, such military operations
demonstrate the willingness - and ability - of the United States to use its
might for the common good of all.

The NCC also urges Liberian President Charles Taylor to step down.  At the
same time, we encourage the people of Liberia, including its religious
leaders, to continue to take part in constructive actions that will lead to
peace.

July 11, 2003

-end-

NCC Media Contact: Carol Fouke, 212-870-2252; news@ncccusa.org