From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3509 Synod supports Anglican-Methodist Covenant and debates

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:46:42 +0100

ACNS 3509     |     ENGLAND	|     14 JULY 2003

Synod supports Anglican-Methodist Covenant and debates Embryo research

by Matthew Davies

The Church of England General Synod voted on 13 July to approve the
Anglican-Methodist Covenant and encourage the dioceses, deaneries and
parishes of the Church of England to implement it in conjunction with
their Methodist counterparts and in consultation with partner churches
where appropriate. The Synod also authorised the setting up of a joint
implementation commission.

The Covenant has been widely studied in both churches and it was clear
that it had received overwhelming support in the dioceses.

The Bishop of Gibraltar in Europe , the Rt Revd Geoffrey Rowell,
indicated that "it is a significant and, in some ways, necessary and
modest step towards full unity." He also spoke of both churches sharing
a common heritage, asserting that John and Charles Wesley, the founders
of Methodism, were once "Eucharistic Christians in the Anglican
Communion."

The Archbishop of York, the Most Revd Dr David Hope, said that the
Diocese of York, on Saturday 24 May, "signed a covenant in a packed York
Minster that endorsed precisely what is proposed in this Covenant." He
declared that there is still considerable work to be done and that both
churches will need to work hard together at the local level.

The Inter Anglican Standing Commission on Ecumenical Relations has
welcomed the report saying that it "acknowledges the importance of this
dialogue and finds it consistent with the Anglican Communion's
ecumenical agreements."

A spokesperson on behalf of the Young Anglican Observers said, "We
applaud the vision of unity encompassed in the Anglican-Methodist
Covenant. However, it is at the local level that we see the real
practical needs."

The Bishop of Peterborough, although supporting the motion, was keen to
emphasise the need to "face each other's convictions with integrity and
honesty." He added, "I do think the covenant is clear about points of
difference. It describes our churches as places where people can find
the means of salvation and grace. It will create a new friendship and
fellowship between our two churches and provide a framework for
collaboration in mission in all areas of the Church's life."

The motion was carried with 336 voting for and 32 voting against. The
abstentions weren't counted.

The discussion at the evening session on Embryo Research was one which
offered some reflections on the science, theology and morality of using
human embryos for therapeutic research purposes.

One of the main arguments focussed on how Christians regard the status
of the embryo. Part of the report Embryo Research: some Christian
Perspectives asks the question: "Does it [the embryo] have the same
right to deserve the protection that is accorded to early human life on
the basis of the traditional respect for the sanctity of human life?"

The Archbishop of Canterbury welcomed the report as a "model of
clarification and compression" yet raised some concerns regarding areas
that could be misleading. He was unconvinced by some of the language
that is being used. "If we are to offer a Christian perspective we need
to tread carefully in our theological language," he said.