From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3514 Bishop of Rochester receives honorary Doctorates

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:33:36 +0100

ACNS 3514     |     ENGLAND	|     17 JULY 2003

Bishop of Rochester receives honorary Doctorates

by Matthew Davies

The Rt Revd Dr Michael Nazir-Ali, Bishop of Rochester, was honoured with
an honorary Doctorate of Letters from the University of Bath on Thursday
10 July for his distinguished contribution to inter faith relations.

The University of Greenwich will be awarding a similar honorary
doctorate to the Bishop tomorrow.

"I am both honoured and delighted to receive these awards," said Bishop
Michael. "I have always tried to foster links between the universities
and the Church, and I shall continue to do my best to promote any
partnerships I can, particularly in the context of the Church's
involvement with wider society."

Bishop Michael was appointed the 106th Bishop of Rochester in 1994 and
has worked as a priest and a bishop in both the United Kingdom and
Pakistan.

As the former General Secretary of the Church Mission Society, Bishop
Michael has a continuing interest in mission and development issues, as
well as in inter faith dialogue. He is currently one of the three
President's of the Anglican Communion's Network for Inter Faith Concerns
(NIFCON) and has written several books on theology, Christian mission
and cultural and inter faith issues. One of his more recent publications
includes Understanding my Muslim Neighbour: Some Questions and Answers,
co-written with Christopher Stone, which explores commonly asked
questions about Islam and its followers.

Bishop Michael has studied and taught at a number of leading colleges
and universities in different parts of the world.

For further information regarding the Anglican Communion's Network for
Inter Faith Concerns please visit the NIFCON web site at
http://www.anglicannifcon.org.

[A photo of the Bishop of Rochester is available from
http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/index.html]