From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

MYLE Focuses on Young People of Color

From NEWS@ELCA.ORG
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2003 19:04:45 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 17, 2003

MYLE Focuses on Young People of Color
03-YG-02-BW

	ATLANTA (ELCA) -- More than 750 high-school age Lutherans of color
and or
whose primary language is  other than English gathered July 13-16 here at
the Sheraton Hotel for worship, speakers, music, fellowship and fun.
Under the theme, Bathed in His Image: Washing Away MYLES of Hate, young
people gathered to participate in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
Americas (ELCA) Multicultural Youth Leadership Event (MYLE).
	The ELCA Youth Gathering is meeting here at the Georgia Dome and
Georgia
World Congress Center in two back-to-back events: July 16-20 and Jul
23-27. The Gathering, "Do Life! Ubuntu," is bringing together some 40,000
high-school-age and adult Lutherans who are engaging in worship, Bible
study, community service and fun. MYLE preceded the ELCA Youth Gathering.
	MYLE provides a multicultural, Christ-centered, leadership training
event
that addresses relevant issues to multicultural youth today.  It is an
opportunity for youth to grow in their knowledge about the church, to
learn more about each others culture and heritage and different ways of
worshiping.  A series of workshops, ethnic specific caucuses and
reflection groups gave participants time to talk and share their feelings
about their spirituality, faith, church and the world around them.
	The rapidly changing America and steadily changing Lutheran church
are a
great challenge for us and truly a great opportunity for the church to
fulfill Gods mission for all Gods people, said the Rev. Israil Daniel
Peter Penumaka, Ashirwad Lutheran Ministry, New York, said at the opening
session for MYLE.
	The ELCA affirms that the purpose of this church is to carry out
Christs
Great Commission by reaching out to all people to bring them to faith in
Christ and by doing all ministry with global awareness consistent with the
understanding of God as creator, redeemer and sanctifier of all, Peter
said.
	Christianity embraces all people of God without any racial, class,
gender
or ethnic identity, therefore developed as a spiritual movement
transforming the lives of many people from all over the world.	Today
people from all cultures and languages come together to celebrate the
Lords Day.  People in Asia, Africa, South America, the Middle East,
Europe, Australia and North America, all together [more than] 2 billion
people follow Christianity in the world today.	We who have gathered here
represent this vast diverse world.  It is awesome and wonderful. It is a
grace of God, said Peter.
	The keynote presenter at the MYLE event was Thandeka TutuGxashe,
daughter
of South African Archbishop Desmond Tutu.
	The greatest lesson I learned from my parents is that every person
has
the potential to bring great gifts to the world.  They always taught us
that the differences between us were necessary for the achievement of a
just world,she said.
	How can we be about building a better life or better world if we
never
hear from the people we say we are helping?  We have to be willing to hear
what it is they fear, what it is they hope for, what are their dreams, how
do they differ and how are they the same as ours, said Tutu-Gxashe.
	When we say we celebrate our diversity what do we mean?  Do we mean
that
we simply celebrate a few holidays from China, learn about a few African
leaders, taste some new food from the Middle East during our multicultural
celebrations?  That is not celebrating our diversity.  Celebrating our
diversity means that we start from the point that we are all one family,
the human family, the children of God made in Gods image, she said.
	Surely as in any family we see that we are not all alike, we do not
like
the same things and are not given strengths and or weaknesses, we do not
dress alike or do not even like the same music.  Those differences do not
make us disown one another,
rather we see in those differences Gods gift to us and our gift to the
world, Tutu-Gxashe said.
During the opening session the Multicultural Advisory
Committee (MAC) performed a skit based on known cultural stereotypes.  The
purpose of the performance was to make participants aware of the ignorance
of stereotyping, and how people can hurt others with preconceived ideas of
cultures based on ignorance.
		Behold how good it is when brothers and sisters can dwell
together in
unity, said the Rev. Lawrence J. Clark, associate to the bishop, ELCA
Metropolitan Chicago Synod.  Whoever came up with the saying that sticks
and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me doesnt live
where I live, said Clark.
Sticks and stones will break my bones and words can and will
do some damage.  In order to get some healing this week, we are going to
need to talk to ourselves, he said.  Some of us have been word-jacked --
someone spoke a word over us and we have never been the same, we have not
been able to shake it loose.
You need to understand the power of words. Words affect you, whether you
realize it or not, words direct you, words will hang in there and never
die.
		Its a brand new day, a day to remember that you and I have
been created
in Gods image, and the God I serve dont make no junk.  If somebody had a
problem with you, then they have a problem with God.  You are, I am, We
are ubuntu, and we are bathed in His image, Clark said.
More than 30 workshops were offered and led by youth and
adults.  Topics included were:
		+ In Living Color: Transracial Adoption, This workshop
examined the
concerns of children who are a different color their parents.
+ Swimming in the Same Sea: This interactive workshop
examined stereotypes that all people carry.
		+ Lost at Sea, examined the racial and cultural inclusiveness
of the
ELCA.
		+ Getting the Real 411, provided participants with what you
dont know
can hurt you facts about AIDS, HIV and STDs.  It offered frank discussion
about the seriousness of life-altering decisions and peer pressure.
		Other topics were: Power of the Pen, Hope for Justice, Peace
in War
Zones, Leadership 101, Breaking Down the Walls, and How to Talk About Hot
Topics with Youth.
	MYLE participants self-identified and choose an ethnicspecific
caucus.
Caucuses were attended by youth only, adults were asked and strongly
encouraged to respect the privacy of these caucuses.  The caucuses
provided an open forum to speak freely about ethnicity, the church, its
challenges and their hopes and dreams.	Each caucus held elections to
select one male and one female representative to serve a three-year term
on the MAC board -- an advisory group to the Lutheran Youth Organization.
	Elected to the MAC board were:
African American:
Female, Janell Miller, 18, Detroit, Mich.
Male, Christopher Clark, 18, Chicago

American Indian/Native American:
Female, Jason Blankenship, 16, Oaks, Okla.
Male, Wendy Gales, 18, Anchorage, Aka.

Asian/Pacific Islander:
Female, Jacqueline St. Pieni, 15, Newport News, Va.
Male, Jovan Carreon, 15, Union City, Calif.

Hispanic/Latino:
Female, Katrina Cuevas, 17, Woodlynne, N.J.
Male, Matt Lopez, 15, Wattsontown, Pa.

	The MAC board recently voted to broaden the representation of
its committee and added two new communities to the board:

Arab/Middle Eastern:
Diana Marcus, Skokie, Ill.
Andrew Rayyan, 17, Dearborn, Mich.

Multiracial:
Lani Frerichs, 16, Columbia, Md.
Kali Adonjiah Kirschina Williams, Elkins Park, Pa.

Information from the ELCA Youth Gathering can be found
at http://www.elca.org/gathering/home.html on the Web.

Photos from MYLE can be found at
http://www.elca.org/gathering/med-gallery_myle.html on the Web.

For information contact: