From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Youth Learn About Apartheid, South Africa

From NEWS@ELCA.ORG
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:53:22 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 18, 2003

Youth Learn About Apartheid, South Africa
03-YG-04-JAC*

     ATLANTA (ELCA) -- High-school-age youth and adult Lutherans
at the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) Youth
Gathering can learn about South Africa through a workshop called
"The Real Story" at the Georgia World Congress Center and the
Georgia Dome here.  There are several workshops on a variety of
topics throughout the Gathering.
     The ELCA Youth Gathering is meeting in two back-to-back
events:  July 16-20 and July 23-27.  The Gathering, "Do Life!
Ubuntu," is bringing together some 40,000 Lutherans who are
engaging in worship, Bible study, community service and fun.
     A musical play by Freddie Hendricks Youth Ensemble of
Atlanta taught workshop participants about apartheid through the
story of the Soweto (South Africa) uprising.
     "We are rising, we are fighting, we are dying, we are
crying," sang performers.  "We are treated like dogs."	The
musical play was about injustice and the plight for Soweto
students to break through apartheid oppression.
     "It is not right to be judged by your skin but by your mind,
by your soul," one female soloist sang.
     After the performance, a group of Gathering youth and adults
who traveled to Cape Town, South Africa in April to experience
first-hand the meaning of the Youth Gathering theme, "Do Life!
Ubuntu," told of their journey through pictures, video and
stories.
     "As we traveled out to the rural areas, we saw what
apartheid was like," said Sharon Rogers, associate in ministry,
Sycamore, Ill.
     Other workshops during the Gathering include meeting ELCA
bishops, creating art, learning about economic impact, health and
fitness, peace and justice advocacy and more.

Information about the gathering is located at
http://www.elca.org/gathering/home.html on the Web.

*Jessica A. Crane is completing her bachelor of arts degree at
Concordia College, Moorhead, Minn.  This summer she is an intern
with ELCA News and Media Production.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news