From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Thousands of Lutheran Youth Gather for Prayer

From NEWS@ELCA.ORG
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2003 10:05:51 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 21, 2003

Thousands of Lutheran Youth Gather for Prayer
03-YG-11-MR

     ATLANTA (ELCA) -- The first event of the 2003 Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) Youth Gathering came to a close
when 23,000 high-school-age and adult Lutherans from across the
country and around the world gathered for prayer here July 20 at
the Georgia Dome.  The Rev. Mark S. Hanson, presiding bishop of
the ELCA, Chicago, led the service.
     The Gathering is meeting July 16-20 and July 23-27 at the
Georgia Dome and Georgia World Congress Center.  Under the theme,
"Do Life! Ubuntu," the two events bring together some 40,000
youth and adult Lutherans to participate in worship, community
service, Bible study and fun.
     Worship included music, dancing, dramatic presentations and
Holy Communion.  Young people moved to the music of Ken Medema,
Brier Patch Music, Grandville, Mich., and the 2003 Atlanta
Gathering Praise Band and Praise Choir.  Special musical guests
included Adam McKnight and The Voices of Atlanta.
     "We've done it all, haven't we?  There's nothing else to do,
what's left to say?  We've danced in the aisles, praising God,"
said Hanson.  "We've done it all except one thing.  We have not
had a feast.  It's Jesus' feast and you're invited."  Hanson's
words drew cheers and a standing ovation.
     He told young people, "I checked the guest list this morning
and your name is on it.  You are invited to the feast, even if
you have spiked hair, straight hair, dreadlocks or, if you've
achieved no hair at all, you're invited to this feast.	It's
Christ's feast, you come as equals."
     "You are invited this day to Christ's freedom feast no
matter what has you in bondage, whether or not you have those
feelings of low-self esteem, if you feel guilty about something
and you cannot shed the guilt or if you feel like you're always
being excluded, shed the chains of bondage because Christ invites
you to the freedom feast.  You were invited the day you were
baptized," Hanson said.
     The Rev. Andrea L. Walker, St. John Lutheran Church, Summit,
N.J., led "teaching moments" during worship.  "Why is what we've
done [in worship] so important?" she said.
     "Worship is done to remind us of our relationship with God.
Through remembering and because of this relationship, we are able
to have relationship with one another.	This makes a difference
in how I look at you and how you look at me.  We are the people
of God . called to make the world a better place," said Walker.

Information about the 2003 ELCA Youth Gathering is maintained at
http://www.elca.org/gathering/home.html on the Internet.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news